What's new

Bourbon with Pbibby: Heaven Hill Old Style Bourbon

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey guys! I was asked by the person that sent me this to do a review on it (and another one, that will come later). It got me thinking that maybe we could get some long(er) form bourbon reviews going! I know we use the "Today's Bourbon" thread for this a bit but maybe we could use this format for more in depth looks at our favorite spirits! Anyways, on to the review.

FYI, I'm "live reviewing" this. As in, typing as I enjoy. You will get my thoughts as they happen. Hope it's not too ramble-y at the end.

History: Heaven Hill Old Style Bourbon. My limited search and limited knowledge of this bourbon tells me that this is the "little brother", or at least lesser known brother, to the now late (seriously RIP) Heaven Hill Bottled In Bond Bourbon that can essentially only be found in Kentucky. Similiar story here as by my understanding this is the same. MSRP, per the internet, shows around $10 for a 750ml of this stuff. Talk about starting off on the right foot! I mean, seriuosly, think about that. Unlike the BiB, the non bonded Green Label is 90 proof. Also, unlike a lot of bourbons these days, this one still carries an age statement 6 years to be exact. Think about this, 90 proof, 6 year old bourbon for roughly $10 bucks. This is stupid already.

To the tasting......

First thoughts are that this is a nice looking bourbon. I guess it makes sense, 6 years old and all, but there is a good color to this. Looks nice in the Glencairn.

Nose: Leather, beef?, vegetal, some sweetness as well. Caramel or brown sugar. Overall nose is pleasant.
Palate: First sip got me like WHOA!! Seriously, this this this this is just like, good. Like holy cow. I was not expecting this to be this tasty. First thing that gets me is the sweetness. I LOVE a good sweetness to a bourbon. Not always, but I have a soft spot for it. And this nails it on the head ASAP out of the gate. Not a cloying sweetness, but rather a pleasant one. As we proceed through the dram, the proof (albeit moderate) helps on this. I feel like it's got just enough to make sure this isn't a super thin whisky. It's nice man, I don't know what else to say. I'd say there is some pepperiness here. Not like spice, but that vegetal, red pepper style. It balances the sweetness quite nicely.

Finish: Moderate at best. Short for me. But not unexpected and ultimately not an issue. This whisky doesn't coat my mouth or have a crazy viscous mouthfeel, but its just nice (notice a trend here?)

Overall: This whisky is so solid it's disgusting. At $10 bucks a bottle, it's absolutely fucking absurd (forgive the language, but it's warranted here). Seriously, I don't think that you'd ever be disappointed drinking this. If this were $25 a bottle, I'd drink it. And I still think you'd say it was worth the price. I don't know. Maybe I'm crazy. I'd love to hear others thoughts. But seriously, this is not a complex bourbon. Mostly one dimensional. Didn't change on me as I drank it or as it coated my palate. But that's okay. It's a one trick pony sure, but it's DAMN good at that one trick.

Rating: I'm not in to ratings that much. They can be and obviously are affected by so many things. Let's see. In a 0-10 scale where 0 is you wouldn't drink it if someone gave it to you (although the nearly give away this stuff!!!) and 10 is you'd actually pay secondary market Pappy prices for the bourbon, I'd give this thing an absolute 6. What does this mean? I don't know. It's SO solid. Is it a GREAT bourbon? I don't know that it is. But that's just it. I don't know . It might be!! And at $10 bucks a bottle, well I mean what more could you ask for. This was an absolute delight. THANK YOU to my brother that sent it. This will be savored.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully I didn't ramble too much. But it's one of my gifts. Let me know your thoughts if you've had it before! Also, I will legit take feedback on this review!

Edited with pictures!

Attachments

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Nice review Paul!!! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the BiB.....

I also think it’s thin on the mouth. A tad rougher than the HH BiB. Not as much nose In the glass. But still VERY drinkable for even 20 a bottle. It’s well balanced but not complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Awesome review! Sometimes it’s better to review as you go to get the real deal rating!

But I hate to burst bubbles, but I thought I read that HH was no longer producing bourbon???

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Awesome review! Sometimes it’s better to review as you go to get the real deal rating!

But I hate to burst bubbles, but I thought I read that HH was no longer producing bourbon???

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk
I think you are correct. I believe the HH lines are going away.... :(

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Good write-up. I've not tried the green label, but have several bottles of the white label BiB. Look forward to your take on that one...

To my knowledge, the BiB is the one that has been cancelled.

Is the Green Label a KY only distribution?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The Heaven Hills BIB 6 year old with the white label is the one going away. Too bad. One of the great bargains out there is soon to be gone.
Thanks for the clarification! It is very unfortunate. Hopefully at least this one sticks around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
@Tennessee Dave, @pbibby, keep your eye open for Virgin Bourbon 7 yr 101. Supposed to be sourced from Heaven Hill, better age than the HH6BiB thats going away, and very similar to my palate. Price is 12.99 for a 1L here. Understand distribution is limited (can't buy in MO, but available across the state line in KS), but worth looking into if you miss the white label HH6.15441555451762232316137096356203.jpg