What's new

Brand Dedication

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curious, does anyone here only enjoy one brand of cigar? I mean enjoy all the variations from that brand but say only smoke Arturo Fuente or only smoke J.C Newman brands? I wasn't sure if it was like the Ford vs. Chevy thing where it is one or the other but not both for some people. I do know some only enjoy Dominican Republic sticks or only Cuban sticks. For myself, I am still too new and learning them all and trying to learn to taste the notes and decide what I like best. Any brands some of you just refuse to smoke?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With so many similarities between brands, brand devotion means you are really limiting yourself to, as a metaphor, either the top crust or bottom crust of a great pie. I will reach for some brands first and enjoy just about anything they do but I am always open to trying new stuff.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I do find myself dedicated to certain brands, and my biggest criteria is usually consistency. There is nothing I hate more than finding an amazing cigar, enjoying it, ordering a 5er...and then getting 5 horrible smokes. Or, finding a brand where one of the sticks they make is great, but all the other types fall short. So when I find a brand that is consistent within product lines AND whose product lines I tend to enjoy across the board...that's when I become a fanboy. For me, right now those brands are Padron and Illusione. Curivari is batting 1000% at the moment and will probably join that list after I try a couple more sticks.

Edit: And Tatuaje I suppose...never had a bad one to memory, but my dedication to the Verocu is unrivaled.

Last edited:

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Texican I could be happy in that wheelhouse but giving up Fuentes to smoke only Tats or Padron isn't an option.

Oh and as far as brands I will not try again, to many to mention because of a lot of disappointment with them in the past.
Oh for sure. I still buy across all brands for purposes of experimentation. Could never limit myself to one or two. Weird thing about Fuentes for me...they were the brand that really got me into cigars. I think I backburnered them in favor of trying new brands. I'll always have Hemingways in my humi though and pretty much would blind buy a box of any of their sticks with confidence.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I would never limit myself to just one brand but I do find myself smoking Illusione a lot more then anything else. As for brands I refuse, I typically like to try anything but generally stuff out of the La Aurora factory I avoid as I seem to not like anything that comes out of that factory.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Nope. Too many cigars I enjoy, and most brands produce in various factories anyway. So, I could smoke Tatuaje AND Crowned Heads and still only be smoking cigars rolled in the same factory with tobacco from the same source... or I could smoke only Tatuaje or only Crowned Heads and still be smoking cigars made in three or four different places with tobacco from all over.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are too many things that can be done when blending the exact same tobaccos from the same farm for me to limit myself.

To see this in practice buy a CLE Corojo, an Aladino natural, and an Asylum Medulla Oblongata natural. They are all Honduran Corojo puros made with tobaccos grown on the same farm. The tobaccos are different ages, they are different primings, and the cigars are blended differently. However they are all made with nothing but "Authentic Corojo" grown by the Eiroa Family and I believe rolled in the same factory.

Let those cigars rest properly for three to six months. All Eiroa family cigars need rest. Then smoke them and take notes of your impressions. Everyone of them produces a different experience that would be appropriate at different times.

I also have this weirdly esoteric idea that each cigar from a blender is an insight in to their philosophy and their thought process. A blender may try out sixty blends to get the one that goes to market. It is part science and part art. A great blender is like a chef, a painter, and a horticulturist mixed in to one.

I wouldn't limit my world view to one artist or philosopher. I certainly wouldn't limit myself to one culinary experience. So, why would I limit myself to one tobacco experience?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am a Fuente guy, but I will smoke about anything. Why Fuente you ask? There are several reasons.

Their tobacco tastes like tobacco should IMO. They Just taste right.

I was getting ready to retire and my disposable income was going to take a hit. My local B&M carries and get a mice selection of Fuente and that sell them at great prices.

Fuente cigars seem to age very well, so if I was going to stock up before retirement, I didn't want to worry about them losing their flavor for a long time. And aged Fuentes are pretty damn tasty.

I don't know that I have ever had a Fuente cigar that was plugged or burned wonky. Construction is consistently very good.

I don't smoke a great deal of cigars and I rarely buy cigars over the last 5 years.

Anyway, those are the reasons for being a Fuente slut. I would estimate 80% of my cigars are Fuente.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I don't think I could ever be happy limiting myself to one brand. I really love bratwurst and could eat different types (beer, regular, cheddar, etc.) for every meal but after a while I would probably get really sick of bratwurst.

At the end of the day variety really IS the spice of life, right?

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as brand loyalty I have to agree with many others that variety is the key .... That being said I haven't had an Aganorsa that I didn't like so that is one of my go to brands!

on the other side I had some CAO Nicaragua (with a blue band) didn't like them at all,one of my friends liked them so I bombed him with them BUT The CAO Flat head 660 are on of my favorites! (not a complex smoke but vary consistent) So I try new sticks and pick and choose.
And I have discovered I prefer Nicaraguan tobacco over Dominican But I will ty a 5er of anything that looks good