What's new

Brazil Puro #4 - Sao Salvador sumatra

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a boy in the decades of the 1950’s and 1960’s, I recall seeing a TV commercial in which a business suited gentleman slams a recently lit cigar into an ashtray and angrily asks, “Doesn’t anyone make a good 50 cent cigar anymore?” I don’t recall which manufacturer the commercial was promoting, but the cigar I am reviewing today is the most economical Brazilian puro that I have smoked thus far. At a local cost of about the equivalent of $5.00 U.S. it certainly would – after inflation is factored in – answer the question of our businessman in that commercial.

The Sao Salvador sumatra-wrapped robusto I reviewed (shown with the line’s darker mata fina wrapped corona) is named for the capital city of the state of Bahia. This would be equivalent to a Cuban cigar line that had the name Havana. This fact alone should tell its smoker that they should expect a capital experience when lighting up. The city is one of the oldest continuously inhabited in Brazil. Architecturally quaint in its old town sections, Sao Salvador also has areas from which businesses hub outward. Located at the junction of bay and ocean, this tropical city of 2.5 million, bustles with tourism in older areas and hustles with industry along its large modern exporting operations, dealing primarily in sugar cane and tobacco.

It makes sense then that a cigar named for this city be a businessman’s special, as it were. Though economical, this is a penthouse smoke. Well proportioned, this robusto has a fat 50+ ring gauge circumference and hefty balanced feel that best fits a large man’s hand. The construction is firm and sure, like a CEO must be in order to maintain success. Pre-light draw lends that distinctly licorice hint that comes through fine, rich tobacco. It took 7 or 8 puffs to light completely around the foot, even after toasting. When lit, the draw is smooth and quickly authorizes large amounts of roast beef-tasting smoke to pass through its length. When exhaled, this smoke, along with the forceful plumes pouring off the foot - a conglomerate of mint and pepper - is enough to quickly alert a boardroom that the boss has arrived. The head and body, when passed under the nose, give a strong earthy tobacco aroma that reinforces the manly sensation of having this partner nearby.

The compressed, impressively stark white ash forms evenly around the ring in response to each draw. Even at an inch or more in length, the ash is firm and resists being unseated, while the aroma coming off the foot speaks of assets accumulating which indicate a bold tobacco future. Already starting to shine up a bit, this no-frills, strong cigar has the look and aroma of an oiled oak desk.

Too fat to chew, this gar is meant to be gripped firmly and moved about to emphasize talking points. One need never worry about it dying during a long soliloquy, since impressive blue-white smoke continues to pulse like punctuation points floating off the foot even at rest. In a meeting, should one wave or point this stick, intermittently take a big responsive draw and exhale this full-bodied smoke in another’s direction, they will understand that you mean business.

Halfway done, the head and body fragrance is reminiscent of walking through a ripe tobacco field after a rain. The foot emits that same penetrating peppered meat, marinated in mint. The taste in the mouth is moving toward coffee; black, without cream or sugar … of course. This cigar is on the fast track to success. Most robustos I smoke take an hour to finish. The Sao Salvador’s deadline will be met in 35-40 minutes, making it a great way to conservatively finish off a 2 hour executive lunch break.

With a bit under two inches remaining, I pick up some coconut from the foot. I am anxious to abstract the leaf components to find out if this tough nut has a sweet heart. Smoking only the core filler material, there comes a curious mixture of rich coconut oil and fig. After the center is drilled, the wrapper/binder combination, when smoked, sends grizzly bear hair up the nose. Even the last remaining inch and a quarter of this cigar feels solid and hefty; certainly nothing to sell off and cast aside. With the tobaccos recombined, the head aroma has accrued dividends, offering extremely rich tobacco with traces of mahogany. The palate taste is that of steamy, sticky clam chowder with saltine crackers. The foot fragrance pierces to the center of tobacco desire with unrestrained strength of character – this is a top floor smoke, not meant for subordinates. It leaves one with a firm handshake and the confidence one finds in money and time well invested.