What's new

Brewing Coffee

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
So I got a coffee grinder for Christmas and picked up some beans from the cigar shop that gets them in freshly roasted every week from a local roaster. The BM normally grinds and drip brews up their coffee into an airpot for the masses, which makes quite a tasty brew that is very aromatic.

Now that I started grinding my own beans, which I purchased from the BM, and brewing them up in a French press (coarse grind) and drip (medium grind), I don't get the same depth of flavor and aromatics from the coffee as the BM does when they make it...

Any ideas? I grind the beans as I need them, so they aren't sitting around already grinded...

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I got a coffee grinder for Christmas and picked up some beans from the cigar shop that gets them in freshly roasted every week from a local roaster. The BM normally grinds and drip brews up their coffee into an airpot for the masses, which makes quite a tasty brew that is very aromatic.

Now that I started grinding my own beans, which I purchased from the BM, and brewing them up in a French press (coarse grind) and drip (medium grind), I don't get the same depth of flavor and aromatics from the coffee as the BM does when they make it...

Any ideas? I grind the beans as I need them, so they aren't sitting around already grinded...
I'm new to a French Press also but how long are you letting it steep for before pouring into your mug to drink? Maybe not enough?

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
i'm going to reference this thread since jay already listed these out. you might also want to try out an aeropress.
---
http://www.botl.org/threads/help-me-drink-something-better-than-keurig-coffee.84721/

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
So much can effect your brew. Water temp, amount of beans, amount of water, type of water.... The French press and drip shouldn't ever taste the same even if your doing it all right. Do a quick search on brewing with the FP and see if your doing it all right. If you are then maybe the FP isn't for you.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Its as if the flavors arnt opening up, like drinking wine w/o decanting it.

I use brita filtered tap water. When I French press I bring the water to boil, then let it cool 1minute.

Rating - 100%
231   0   0

yea I noticed that too

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Couple questions…
What kind of grinder are you using? (Specifically blade or burr)
What's the roast date on the beans?
Have you tried different water?
Have you tried playing with grind size?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Grind Size (I use a Burl Mill - that is what coffee shops use)
Temperature (200 degree's is "normal" but believe coffee shops brew at higher temps than this, higher the temp, the more bitter)
Amount (Heaping Tablespoon per 8oz - vary from that)
Grind right before you brew - beans can be old or dry
Cameron Coffee is local here, you can buy online and they ship to you - I like the beans to look oily and wet, not dull colored and dry
keep trying different variations until you find it
You could try distilled water - never use mineral water (Spring water)
That's the info as I believe anyway

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Couple questions…
What kind of grinder are you using? (Specifically blade or burr)
What's the roast date on the beans?
Have you tried different water?
Have you tried playing with grind size?

Using cusinart burr grinder

Roast date would have been dec. 21 2015. Picked them up the 23rd

Have only used tap water filtered by brita pitcher

Have only done straight medium for drip and all the way coarse for French press

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Grind Size (I use a Burl Mill - that is what coffee shops use)
Temperature (200 degree's is "normal" but believe coffee shops brew at higher temps than this, higher the temp, the more bitter)
Amount (Heaping Tablespoon per 8oz - vary from that)
Grind right before you brew - beans can be old or dry
Cameron Coffee is local here, you can buy online and they ship to you - I like the beans to look oily and wet, not dull colored and dry
keep trying different variations until you find it
You could try distilled water - never use mineral water (Spring water)
That's the info as I believe anyway
I agree with most things stated here, but some commentary…
• Temperature will depend on the brewing method. For example for Aeropress I brew at 175*, but yes the higher the temp the more of the bitter compounds that are extracted. I can get all science like here if people want.
• The general rule for ratio is 1 gram of coffee per 16 milliliters (grams) of water
• Agreed always grind before brewing with FRESHLY roasted coffee. Coffee begins to go stale the moment it is roasted. Buy less and more often.
• I prefer light roast coffee (dull and dry) and it, IMO, makes a brighter and more nuanced cup. At dark roasts you get a different mouth feel, but all flavor of the region/soil/etc have been burnt from the bean
• experiment, experiment, experiment
• The mineral content in water is crucial for proper extraction. Using distilled water leads to a very bland cup. Lots of science out there to back this up.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use a medium grind for French press - super fine is espresso
Forget the course grind - that is for cowboy coffee (put it in with water and shake, let it settle and then drink - never use that grind)
Sure the water is not the issue - me thinks it's the grind
I'm a coffee freak - espresso, French press, drip, percolator, cowboy jug- I have them all
Didn't know about the mineral in the water thing - I use reverse osmosis (maybe I should try the tap?) don't think there are any minerals left in my water - ha! I'll have to do some reading on that

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I'll have to experiment with a finer grind and temperature (luckily I have a thermapen).

Our city water is horrible (smells like dead fishes to me), maybe i'll pick up some bottled spring water to see if it makes a difference as well.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I'll have to experiment with a finer grind and temperature (luckily I have a thermapen).

Our city water is horrible (smells like dead fishes to me), maybe i'll pick up some bottled spring water to see if it makes a difference as well.
Whats the target mass you are trying to reach of finished brew?

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Whats the target mass you are trying to reach of finished brew?
Target mass? assuming you mean cups of coffee...

French press does 4 cups (32oz): did math with your ratios, should be 2.08oz of bean
Drip is a 12 cup machine, you use 6oz of bean for a full 12 cups?

I was doing 1Tbsp per 4oz in the frenchpress

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Target mass? assuming you mean cups of coffee...

French press does 4 cups (32oz): did math with your ratios, should be 2.08oz of bean
Drip does "12 cups" but I don't think its that big at all.

I was doing 1Tbsp per 4oz in the frenchpress
Okay so if your French Press hold 32oz I would start with this formula…
  • Water: 32oz @ 201*
  • Coffee: 64 grams (approx 12 tablespoons)[if this is too strong try 9/10 tablespoons]
  1. Preheat the coffee press with hot water
  2. Coffee in and pour 500 grams water wetting all grounds
  3. Gently stir and let bloom for 30 seconds
  4. Pour remaining water (make sure to pour evenly over grounds)
  5. Place lid gently, but do not plunge
  6. Let sit for 3:45 seconds
  7. Plunge
  8. Transfer the entire contents to a cup or carafe immediately (over extraction happens otherwise)
For reference here is the grind size I would shoot for as a starting point

Last edited: