What's new

Brigham Pipe Filters

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
So I have a Brigham Pipe, which I really like. How often should I be changing the filter? I usually go 2-4 bowls or until it turns gross if I'm forgetful.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
brigham uses the maple dowel filters. they are fairly sturdy, and maybe six to twelve smokes, depending on what you're s owing, how long they can dry out, and how it affects your smoke (which is the biggest thing anyway...). also, never tried yet, but have heard some guys try cleaning them. or keeping a rotation of them. or possibly both.

then again, it may smoke fine for you without a filter too...

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
brigham uses the maple dowel filters. they are fairly sturdy, and maybe six to twelve smokes, depending on what you're s owing, how long they can dry out, and how it affects your smoke (which is the biggest thing anyway...). also, never tried yet, but have heard some guys try cleaning them. or keeping a rotation of them. or possibly both.

then again, it may smoke fine for you without a filter too...
good info Sean- never knew about their filters being different then Sav. I used to be staunch- no filter guy- but found I like to use Sav filters with some blends. It can smooth things out and really draws moisture as I tend to smoke too fast some times.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
brigham "rock maple inserts". like the sav filters, but a hollow tube of rock maple that extends from shank into stem. allegedly "dries and cools" the smoke. they actually don't affect the flavors or textures at all, IMO. it's another widget to deal with, to be sure, but it seems to be a possibly beneficial one...

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I've had positive experiences with the Brigham filters. They don't seem to impact the taste and the pipe does seem to smoke drier than other pipes of mine.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Brigham "system":

And look what I found while looking for the above image:

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
it ain't science unti you can tell us the relative Ph changes between a filtered, used-filter-ed, and unfiltered brigham...
Then I guess I'm not a scientist... Though I probably could sweet talk some of the marine biology girls into letting me into the labs and helping me figure this out. But then that would involve me talking to marine biology students...

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Then I guess I'm not a scientist... Though I probably could sweet talk some of the marine biology girls into letting me into the labs and helping me figure this out. But then that would involve me talking to marine biology students...
See, now I want to know.
Get in there and play mad professor!

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
So I did a quick and dirty google search and discovered this:
"The only way to measure the pH of a gas is to dissolve it into distilled water and measure the mixture. Technically, the pH of the distilled water/gas mixture will be that of the gas."

Sounds complicated. I'm in.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
So I did a quick and dirty google search and discovered this:
"The only way to measure the pH of a gas is to dissolve it into distilled water and measure the mixture. Technically, the pH of the distilled water/gas mixture will be that of the gas."

Sounds complicated. I'm in.
So, does that mean soaking the filters in different stages of use?