What's new

Broken Lens

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Just dropped my Nikon 18-55mm DX VR lense on the garage floor while trying to take time lapses of an incoming storm. The lense won't open past 24mm now. Really pissed at myself right now. Does anything know of a place that'll fix it for cheaper than a new one?

There's definitely some stuff broke off inside. Sounds like 2 marbles are inside rolling around.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I wonder if it'll be covered under warranty? I just bought it probably 3 months ago at the latest.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I wonder if it'll be covered under warranty? I just bought it probably 3 months ago at the latest.
Yeah I'd say so! Give them a call. Or I can ask my photographer buddies what they did. I know 2 of them sent in their crap I mean Nikon's for cleaning.

Worse case scenario you might have to pay a bit. BUT look at it as it's most likely cheaper to do that then go brand new.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yeah I'd say so! Give them a call. Or I can ask my photographer buddies what they did. I know 2 of them sent in their crap I mean Nikon's for cleaning.

Worse case scenario you might have to pay a bit. BUT look at it as it's most likely cheaper to do that then go brand new.
I'll give them a call tomorrow. I looked up and found a new one for $110, which isn't too bad. Luckily I still have the larger kit lense that came with it to use. I'll tell them their strap broke and my camera fell on the lense, it's their fault!!

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Would anyone ever buy a refurbished lense? If Nikon won't repair it or something, there's some refurbished under $100

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Depends what I was using the lens for Tommy. If I was just a hobbyist getting a few snaps of the kids I would buy refurb. If I am shooting video production or someone's wedding I would buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Most just a knock about lense. I'm not pro at all. I enjoy mostly taking pictures of nature and portraits. Looks like there's a brand new one on Ebay for $85. May sell some sticks to just get that if Nikon cant work with me.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sounds like a good call Tommy, I just showed my wife the prices of the 2 lenses I wanted to upgrade to. She nearly shit herself, but said "whatever you want".

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
You're kidding right? Nikon's warranty doesn't cover dropping it. How is that Nikon's fault?

The Nikon DX kit lenses are basically disposable and will likely cost more to repair than a new one. You will have to send it to Nikon for an estimate. I'd suggest investing your money in a better used lens. Check out the used section at B&H Photo or the for sale section of fredmiranda.com

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You're kidding right? Nikon's warranty doesn't cover dropping it. How is that Nikon's fault?

The Nikon DX kit lenses are basically disposable and will likely cost more to repair than a new one. You will have to send it to Nikon for an estimate. I'd suggest investing your money in a better used lens. Check out the used section at B&H Photo or the for sale section of fredmiranda.com
Good advice here.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

+1 for B&H. Check out Adorama.com as well. Another NYC major photography/video company.

IF you can't find any I have 2 local shops that sell refurbs, new and used and have been in business way before I existed.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Sounds like a good call Tommy, I just showed my wife the prices of the 2 lenses I wanted to upgrade to. She nearly shit herself, but said "whatever you want".

haha I have seen some of the lens prices out there and there's some pricey stuff to be bought! Sounds like you got yourself a keeper though!

It isn't their fault at all, but like my dad always says, it never hurts to ask! Is there a better lens to be had for under $100 beside the kit lens? I'm not a professional photographer, this is just one of many hobbies of mine.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
haha I have seen some of the lens prices out there and there's some pricey stuff to be bought! Sounds like you got yourself a keeper though!

It isn't their fault at all, but like my dad always says, it never hurts to ask! Is there a better lens to be had for under $100 beside the kit lens? I'm not a professional photographer, this is just one of many hobbies of mine.
You're talking more $$ once you step out from kit lenses. I still have all of mine and used to use them religiously. I "upgraded" to a new to me used 18-200 f/4 or f/5.6 I forget the settings. My only issue is that it's old and with a year old camera body it's not playing nice for videos.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
You're talking more $$ once you step out from kit lenses. I still have all of mine and used to use them religiously. I "upgraded" to a new to me used 18-200 f/4 or f/5.6 I forget the settings. My only issue is that it's old and with a year old camera body it's not playing nice for videos.
Since I'm already struggling how I will buy a new kit lens, I figure that's more than sufficient for me! When I had it, I was very pleased with the pictures I was able to get from the kit lens.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm upgrading to a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8. Wife even gave me the green light. Then I said I want a DSLR that shoots video and played it off as shooting vids of the kids and such. And she was on with it. Hot damn.

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Since I'm already struggling how I will buy a new kit lens, I figure that's more than sufficient for me! When I had it, I was very pleased with the pictures I was able to get from the kit lens.
Since your starting out, don't worry about a zoom lens as the 18-55 isn't really much of a zoom range always. Consider a basic prime lens like the 50 f/1.8D. Better lenses make a huge difference (much more so than camera bodies these days) and prime's are generally considered to be superior to zooms in terms of maximum aperture and image quality.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html