What's new

Building my own cabinet humidor

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all,

So I've decided to make my own cabinet humidor. Why, might you ask? Three reasons: price, I really need something more custom, and the skills I hone while doing this will allow me to do some other household projects (the lady is dying for new cabinet doors). Well four, I dont have another room that I can turn into a walk-in in the house I live in.

SO, my intention is to make this thread a picture bomb, fun filled, make fun of Chris because hes a woodworking newbie that has only learned some basic stuff from his uncle (who he's getting the neccesary tools from). But, also, I'd like this to be a kind of "hey why dont you do it like this" or "this is a better way of doing it" that maybe everyone else can follow. I plan on making something that holds 1000+ cigars and will fit a certain area of my house. You should be able to follow along however and make something of your own should you also take this challenge. DISCLAIMER: I'm no woodworking expert. Thing might come out looking great but expand and turn into a POS after I'm done for all I know. Its still worth it to me to make it from scratch; a sentimental undertaking for me.

A little about me: I'm a mechanical engineer. I have the horsepower to design this whole thing out first in 3D (which I'm just about done doing I think), and then just get the wood to support my design and start with the saws and routers and plate joiners.

For whatever reason, I can't get my VPN to let me sign into my 3D modeling program and post the pictures of the design so far. That being said, I'll come back here and fill this with pictures tomorrow once im back in the office.

The new humidor location:

Overall Dimiensions: 52" H x 34" W x 12" D

and the pipe challenge that reduced the hight by 3":

and the mantle shelf that reduced the width by 5":

And like I said, I'll post up the pictures of the design of the humidor once I get back to my office and get a free moment.

And now, as I've promised:
Doors Closed

Doors open

Facing Front

I've already figured out a few things i've done wrong here, and will fix it tomorrow if I have time. I'm keeping any features that make it look nice off this design template for now since it just takes time to design (which I'm in short supply of).

:cbig:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looking forward to this! I will follow with interest, since I'd like to this myself someday.

For whatever reason, I can't get my VPN to let me sign into my 3D modeling program and post the pictures of the design so far. That being said, I'll come back here and fill this with pictures tomorrow once im back in the office.
Government employee, huh?

Last edited:

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Chris, I've been doing woodworking for about 10-15 years, so I'll throw out some advice/questions. Are you going to have a table saw to work with? Do you have any knowledge on basic cabinet making techniques? It might be a good idea to start out with building a tabletop humidor and working your way up. I'd check out some episodes of New Yankee Workshop and also pick up some manuals on cabinet making. Just throwing out my 2 cents to try & make things easier for you. Your first project is probably going to take you a lot longer than you anticipate because you are working with tools and figuring out how to use them and techniques that you've never done before. That's what I found out at least. What tools do you have at your disposal? Jointer, Planer, pocket-screw jig, router table, numerous parallel clamps? Just talking about this is getting my excited! I've been planning on building a cabinet humidor this summer, too!

Last edited:

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chris, I've been doing woodworking for about 10-15 years, so I'll throw out some advice/questions. Are you going to have a table saw to work with? Do you have any knowledge on basic cabinet making techniques? It might be a good idea to start out with building a tabletop humidor and working your way up. I'd check out some episodes of New Yankee Workshop and also pick up some manuals on cabinet making. Just throwing out my 2 cents to try & make things easier for you. Your first project is probably going to take you a lot longer than you anticipate because you are working with tools and figuring out how to use them and techniques that you've never done before. That's what I found out at least. What tools do you have at your disposal? Jointer, Planer, pocket-screw jig, router table, numerous parallel clamps? Just talking about this is getting my excited! I've been planning on building a cabinet humidor this summer, too!
I'd say I'm amateur at best. My great uncle has been in the woodworking business for a long time, but now due to his age (92 this summer) isn't able to do the things he's done before. He and my grandfather built my mother's kitchen when i was young, and I've been picking up things from him for the past 27 years. I've built a lot of things and put up rooms and framed houses and built decks and made railings, but cabinetry is not my thing.

I've got the table saw, miter saws, plate joiner, drills, and my uncle has his router and drill press, but I'll likely get my own sometime.The upside is I'll have access to all the tools I'll need. My uncle has been begging me to take his tools for years. I think the only thing I'll need to buy is a good router and router table. You are right, this being my first build its going to take quite a while, but it being my own work and my own design makes it worthwhile. Plus what I learn from this one will transfer into ability to do it better another time, as we all know that this website will undoubtedly lead me to making another some time.

No I wont be cutting into that mantle. I don't need that headache from the mantle or the female unit. I could take more pictures of that and explain more, but I really think it would ruin that fire place anyway. Truth be told, I'm really just trying to make use of some dead space while having some good man time while getting into another hobby.

:cbig:

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Is the fireplace used a lot? I'd be worried about the heat coming from that area, but I've never really used a real fireplace so I can't say I know the pattern of heat radiation.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the heads up/preview of the project. Can't wait to follow the progress, as I'd like to do the same one of these days (when I get into another house).

What are you thinking about for humidity control?

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ah, I should have mentioned this before. It is a gas fireplace and the heat is regulated to a temperature on a thermostat on the wall. It keeps that room at 65 during cold months. I also have HVAC for the summer. There is very little risk of putting the humi there. my desktops used to be there but I moved them to a different spot once I put some pictures up downstairs.

As for humidity control, I'm going to use a beads/ active mix with the active probably consisting of an accumonitor if the funds are there. as for what beads: Im not sure yet. I have both Shilala and Heartfelt in the house already, and the heartfelts seem to work better so far. I am using double the amt needed of shilala's in a desktop and cant get it above 63 in there with a soaked sponge on a plate in there as well. I could go on a diatribe about the humidor its in but thats not for this thread.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I'm a hack andi managed to build my own. Took me 6 months and a lot of blood, sweat, tears (old lady) and cash. Lots of cash. The spanish cedar is where you get your ass handed to you.

Couple of things to decide before you cut.
1. What humidifcation system would you use and design that in.
2. Do you need it insulated? Depends on your location.
3. Spanish cedar planks (leave a gap between for expansion) or sheets?

You really need to walk yourself through the virtual build in your mind so you don't miss anything. Here's a picture of mine. Remember, I don't have any woodworking talent.

Feel free to hit me up if I can be of assistance.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I should give an update for those who are patiently waiting. I've ordered the spanish cedar to line some of the walls with, and the spanish cedar shelving. I still havent been able to have a good day to go get a uhaul truck and get the tools I'll be using from my uncle, AND to make matters worse, my work is sending me to Germany for a month or so. I decided I'd wait until i get back to start this whole thing so as to not leave my mess around in my house for over a month for the dog to get into and get the female all pissy.

I have however decided to change the design you all see there. I've given in; the original spot I was thinking to put this in just isn't that big, has issues being able to open the doors, has something in the way up top, and last but not least is in decently close proximity to the gas fireplace.

So the design now looks like:

and it has a lot more room on the ledge it will be on.