What's new

Burn issues help (Tunneling)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was hoping I could get some help with some tunneling issues I have had lately. Every since I moved to my much larger cabinet humidor, I have had quite a bit of tunneling happening with my cigars. Nearly every cigar has at least a slight tunnel at some point. I have a Govee sensor that I have calibrated twice with boveda packs in a zip lock on every shelf to make sure that the humidity is even. I have kept it at 65-67% consistently for several months. I am in Georgia btw. What is everyone’s thoughts on keeping them at 63-65 long term? I have about 1000 cigars in there. Some of which I don’t plan to smoke until a year down the road. So I want to think long term on humidity. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Note: I thought about dry boxing. But I really enjoy being able to browse through the entire variety before having a smoke. I am weird as I have random cravings depending on what I am feeling that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
1. Smoking too slow
2. Wrapper rh% is high
3. Filler rh% is low

only things that can cause tunneling (to my knowledge) if you have kept everything at 67 for months my only guess is relative rh% outside is higher (winter) and may be causing some tunneling as you smoke? Or you smoke slow, try double puffing? This a very limited guess on info given, good luck with the tunneling.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
1. Smoking too slow
2. Wrapper rh% is high
3. Filler rh% is low

only things that can cause tunneling (to my knowledge) if you have kept everything at 67 for months my only guess is relative rh% outside is higher (winter) and may be causing some tunneling as you smoke? Or you smoke slow, try double puffing? This a very limited guess on info given, good luck with the tunneling.
Good info. I have been smoking my cigars a little slower after thinking about it. I’ll try that, thanks!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you plan to smoke through 1000 cigars in a year you better smoke them faster!

Couple of things:
I keep NCs at 65 and Cubans at 62
I dry box NCs at 62 for a couple of weeks before smoking. I keep about 40 cigars at a time in dry box so I have a fair selection but you are only limited by space and Bovedas
I try to address tunneling issues early so they do not get out of hand. You can burn off any extra wrapper as it appears if that's what isn't burning.
The quality of the cigar has a lot to do with how it burns.
Taking cigars from storage to a different environment can cause burn issues. What happens if you let a cigar rest where you intend to smoke it for a while?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
If you plan to smoke through 1000 cigars in a year you better smoke them faster!

Couple of things:
I keep NCs at 65 and Cubans at 62
I dry box NCs at 62 for a couple of weeks before smoking. I keep about 40 cigars at a time in dry box so I have a fair selection but you are only limited by space and Bovedas
I try to address tunneling issues early so they do not get out of hand. You can burn off any extra wrapper as it appears if that's what isn't burning.
The quality of the cigar has a lot to do with how it burns.
Taking cigars from storage to a different environment can cause burn issues. What happens if you let a cigar rest where you intend to smoke it for a while?
Fwiw, I've kept all my cigars at 65% percent for a couple years now after having issues at 62%, and don't dry box, and only very rarely do I get any tunneling, and when I do, as mentioned, its usually from a cheaper cigar.

As others mentioned, outside humidity could be a cause, but I have no idea personally as Wyoming is typically fairly low humidity.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Jrfoxx

I've believe where you live has a tremendous affect on how you should store your cigars. Like you said you can't compare the weather in Wyoming to the weather on the Gulf Coast.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
@Jrfoxx

I've believe where you live has a tremendous affect on how you should store your cigars. Like you said you can't compare the weather in Wyoming to the weather on the Gulf Coast.
Very true.

I have only smoked cigars in lower humidity states like San Diego and wyoming, so can't say how the higher humidity of other states effects things.

The common wisdom seems to be that outside humidity does have a very real effect on how a cigar smokes.

Here, the constant wind is the only thing I've experienced an effect with.

Whenever I smoke outside the enclosed smoke shacks, on a particularly windy day, i seem to have more issues with uneven burns.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I was hoping I could get some help with some tunneling issues I have had lately. Every since I moved to my much larger cabinet humidor, I have had quite a bit of tunneling happening with my cigars. Nearly every cigar has at least a slight tunnel at some point. I have a Govee sensor that I have calibrated twice with boveda packs in a zip lock on every shelf to make sure that the humidity is even. I have kept it at 65-67% consistently for several months. I am in Georgia btw. What is everyone’s thoughts on keeping them at 63-65 long term? I have about 1000 cigars in there. Some of which I don’t plan to smoke until a year down the road. So I want to think long term on humidity. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Note: I thought about dry boxing. But I really enjoy being able to browse through the entire variety before having a smoke. I am weird as I have random cravings depending on what I am feeling that day.

I live in GA and have been having issues the past like every time almost. I need.to get to a lounge and see if there's a difference from inside and outside. It's been frustrating enough that I needed to come check out this thread.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I meant some I won’t even start smoking for a year. Not that I would smoke all in a year. Although, I am definitely up for the challenge! thanks all for your advice. I did leave a cigar out in the garage for a couple of hours and smoked it faster. Did not have any issues! I will keep testing everything to see what works.