What's new

Buying A Humidor - A Basic Buying Guide

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Buying a humidor is a serious step, so having the best knowledge possible is essential in choosing a humidor that not only fits your needs but doesn't break your bank.

The keys points in choosing a quality humidor:

1.) Size. This is tricky because most places list the size by "Cigar Count". The estimates on how many cigars the humidor they are selling varies greatly. IGNORE the "Cigar Count" and look at the actual dimensions. When comparing two humidors, multiply the L x W x H to get the cubic inches and then compare them.

2.) Gauging quality is tough when viewing humidors online but there are a couple of things you can look for.

A.) The first thing to watch out for is using any wood other than Spanish Cedar for the inside lining. You'll be amazed at how many places don't!

B.) The second is the use of acrylic instead of glass for glass top models or screen printing a "wood inlay" instead actually using wood. If the manufacturer skimps on the glass or inlay, they probably skimped somewhere else as well.

C.) Joinery. The best quality humidors use dove tails or splines and are made of exotic woods. An affordable humidor should have at least mitred corners "butt joints" are no good and should be avoided.

D.) The pictures. Look closely at the pictures, you can often tell how "cheap" a humidor is if you look closely at the finish and hardware shown in the pics.

3.) Beware of inflated shipping! Humidors can be pricey to ship depending on the size but a humidor that costs $20 shouldn't have shipping cost of $35. An average desktop humidor (13"x10"x6") shouldn't run more than about $15 shipped within the US via Priority Mail. If someone won't openly list their shipping prices, keep looking. This particularly is important when buying off of Ebay.

4.) Check their return policy! Avoid "no returns if box is open" or "all sale are final".

5.) Also, go bigger! Everyone who gets into cigars eventually ends up buy a larger humidor down the road. You have done the research and are finally making a decision to buy a quality humidor, you might as well buy one that you can "grow into" instead of starting over a few months from now.

If in doubt, ask questions! And don't forget about the coolerdor! It's simply the most cost effective way to get started in the hobby!

It's a weird phenomenon that occurs with we cigar smokers. We will spend a fortune on cigars but when it comes to the two most important aspects of properly maintaining their collection (humidors & humidification, they suddenly turn thrifty. This is DEFINITELY not the time to sacrifice quality for a deal if you intend on storing cigars for any period of time, whether a month, months or years….don't cheap out on your humidor or it's humidification!

Of course I am going to recommend using the Puck once your all seasoned and ready to go

Happy smoking my friends and hope this helps!

~Mark

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Good information Mark. You keep on reminding me to get a good desktop humidor for my "ready to smoke" cigars :wink: :innocent:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thinking of switching to the puck. Being a relative newbie those who introduced me to cigars kept their humidors at 75-80 rh so, of course, I followed suit. I started reading the posts on this board and most seem to favor a much lower rh. I've had problems with some wrappers partially flaking off and sometimes when iI cut a cigar from my humidor there is sort of a crunching noise. I just recieved some moty 2's from one of our sponsers and it was perfect. Nice and soft when I cut it and I could sort of chew on the end without it falling apart. Which leads me to my question? Is my humidity to high at 75/80rh and also what are the benefits of the 65 vs. the 70 rh puck?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Carbolic, I'd be happy to go into depth on this topic but I have to get off the computer. Two things: Do a search on this topic (humidity or 65 rh are probably your best search terms) as there is a TON of info on this subject in here already, and two, you might want to start your own topic on this instead of tacking it to the end of this one. I'm sure Mark will wander by to respond, but due to the title you aren't in the best situation to get the best response to your questions.

Short and sweet: go with the 65 RH puck and you won't sorry. And almost more importantly, check your hygrometer with the salt test or a humidipak to make sure it is reading right. The symptoms you mention sound more like a dry cigar than a wet one to me.