What's new

Bye Bye cigar funk

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
My taste for cigars has been off this past month. The last few I attempted to smoke were sort of funky tasting - so I abstained for a week and then smoked a pipe for a couple weeks. Yesterday I was in a cigar mood, so I grabbed one of my old favorites to try and wake up my tastebuds. I had a 10 yr old Mayorga green label churchill.

Smooooooooooooooth, with lots of creamy, sweet cedary flavors with a touch of mineral in the background to remind you this is still a Nicaraguan cigar. The cigar itself was hard as a rock, but had a nice easy draw with lots of smoke. The exhale through my nose did not have one bit of bite or harshness.

Man this cigar always makes me wish all my smokes had this much age. This is also why I have 8 boxes of cigars in deep storage that I don't intend to open until they are at least 5 yrs old.

My accompanying drink was a new beer for me ... Allagash Dubbel Reserve. This is Belgian style ale that is bottle conditioned, which means they add yeast + a touch of sugar before bottling so that a new fermentation will take place inside the bottle. It was quite good - nice full flavors of hops, malt and dried fruits. The head was thick and creamy and at 7% alcohol ... I only needed the one bottle (well it was 750 ml :bottle: ) to make my evening quite relaxing.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
My taste for cigars has been off this past month. The last few I attempted to smoke were sort of funky tasting - so I abstained for a week and then smoked a pipe for a couple weeks. Yesterday I was in a cigar mood, so I grabbed one of my old favorites to try and wake up my tastebuds. I had a 10 yr old Mayorga green label churchill.

Smooooooooooooooth, with lots of creamy, sweet cedary flavors with a touch of mineral in the background to remind you this is still a Nicaraguan cigar. The cigar itself was hard as a rock, but had a nice easy draw with lots of smoke. The exhale through my nose did not have one bit of bite or harshness.

Man this cigar always makes me wish all my smokes had this much age. This is also why I have 8 boxes of cigars in deep storage that I don't intend to open until they are at least 5 yrs old.

My accompanying drink was a new beer for me ... Allagash Dubbel Reserve. This is Belgian style ale that is bottle conditioned, which means they add yeast + a touch of sugar before bottling so that a new fermentation will take place inside the bottle. It was quite good - nice full flavors of hops, malt and dried fruits. The head was thick and creamy and at 7% alcohol ... I only needed the one bottle (well it was 750 ml :bottle: ) to make my evening quite relaxing.
Nice......

By the way, that beer has been a secret of mine around here for some time. I do not tell anybody how much I enjoy it, lest my source runs dry....good find bro!

P.S.

I like to drink two :bottle:

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I hate you.:drool: The one good thing about being old, and it's ohhh so good.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Funny you say you're in a cigar funk because I was just thinking the same of myself today. Recently nothing has been tasting real good to me. And last night I smoked a 4 year old VSG Illusion. I think maybe I will take a few days off and see if my "buds" awaken as well. :scratchhe

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being a mostly medium-strong smoker, combined with a 2-3 a day smoker my palatte will get burned out on occasion. I have to take a bit of time off then (usually a few days) to get it back on track. Glad you're enjoying them again!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0

Glad you got the tastebuds back. This site led me to keep one cooler for aging. I know it will pay off. You just put the icing on the cake. I'm thinking those Pepins I put away are destined for greatness

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every once in a while, I hit a point where ALL cigars taste lousy for me. I find that taking a break from cigars for a week or two gets rid of the problem.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Agreed. I have some 17 year old RPs that I have been slowly devouring. Very smooth.
Are you talking about "Rocky Patel" when you say "RP"? If so, then I think you are confused and making a common newbie mistake (don't feel bad, nearly everyone make the same mistake when starting out). The "17 year old" cigar you're talking about is the "RP Vintage 1990", correct? Well if so, you need to know two things:

ITEM #1 - The "1990" isn't actually tobacco from 1990; it's 12-year-aged tobacco. When he created the line in 2002, 12-years would have been "1990" but that's not the case now. But regardless of all the details, just realize that the cigar is *NOT* from 1990...it just contains 12-year aged tobacco (unless you believe Lew Rothman, who calls B.S. on that as well).

ITEM #2 - There is a *HUGE* difference between aged tobacco (such as the Rocky we're talking about) and an aged cigar.

When tedski said he was smoking a "10 yr old Mayorga green label churchill" he meant he was smoking a cigar that was ROLLED 10 years ago, and then stored in a humidor to age.

When you said you were smoking "17 year old RPs" you're likely smoking cigars rolled in 2006. Don't get me wrong, it's a damn-fine cigar, I think Rocky is a damn-nice guy, and I smoke a helluva lot of his cigars....but it's not a 17-year old cigar. It's more likely a 1-year old cigar.

Hope that clears that up, buddy! :waving:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Are you talking about "Rocky Patel" when you say "RP"? If so, then I think you are confused and making a common newbie mistake (don't feel bad, nearly everyone make the same mistake when starting out). The "17 year old" cigar you're talking about is the "RP Vintage 1990", correct? Well if so, you need to know two things:

ITEM #1 - The "1990" isn't actually tobacco from 1990; it's 12-year-aged tobacco. When he created the line in 2002, 12-years would have been "1990" but that's not the case now. But regardless of all the details, just realize that the cigar is *NOT* from 1990...it just contains 12-year aged tobacco (unless you believe Lew Rothman, who calls B.S. on that as well).

ITEM #2 - There is a *HUGE* difference between aged tobacco (such as the Rocky we're talking about) and an aged cigar.

When tedski said he was smoking a "10 yr old Mayorga green label churchill" he meant he was smoking a cigar that was ROLLED 10 years ago, and then stored in a humidor to age.

When you said you were smoking "17 year old RPs" you're likely smoking cigars rolled in 2006. Don't get me wrong, it's a damn-fine cigar, I think Rocky is a damn-nice guy, and I smoke a helluva lot of his cigars....but it's not a 17-year old cigar. It's more likely a 1-year old cigar.

Yep. Tis the truth.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent information. Thank you.