What's new

Cabinet conversion to humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are looking into buying a buffett and hutch with some wine storage, and I would like to convert one of the cabinets into a humidor. Has anyone ever done this? Would I just need to line the inside of the cabinet with Spanish cedar and make sure the door had a nice seal? I'm already thinking about my humidification options. I have been trying to find a piece that already has cigar storage, but there aren't many options available. If you know if any sites that offer a selection, please let me know.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
i wonder about the wood its made of already...depending on what it is it might overpower the span cedar? My 2 hutchs/wine racks smell very strong, i wouldn't trust lining it with cedar to work. But obviously the one you buy may diff.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think it will depend on where you live. I made 3 cf humidor out of a night stand that was made of solid oak. I lined it with spanish cedar and had what I thought was a good seal. Here in Colorado it was tough keeping up with the humidification. I couldn't go more than 2 days without adding water to the beads. An electronic humidifier helped but basically even though the wood was 1/2 inch thick it still lost lost a lot of water. The same was true of the desktop units. When I converted a 240 bottle vinotemp 3lb of beads holds everything beutifully. If your in a relatively humid climate it should work great, with extra care durring the winter when the heat is on. The conversions that I have seen that work the best is where a box was built inside the cabinet so that you are not relying on the quality of the cabinet maker.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Depending on the cabinet, you may want to install some sort of seal or vapor barrier between it's walls and your Cedar lining material.

As has already been stated, some wood units will wick misture away from the cedar, or worse even, be porous and facilitate an exchange between your humidor cabinet and the surrounding area.

Lot's of folks convert found items into humidors. YOu should have no issues as long as you do your due diligence.

There are a lot of folks who can chime in eventually. Keep searching the board and you'll see some good examples.

Recent projects that come to mind have belonged to:

.jacob
BigMulac

Do a search for threads they have started and you'll find their works of art.

Good luck, and keep asking questions, we're here to help.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I did. It's easy. Pop the back panel off and get silicon caulk and bead it good. Make sure you put a good bead on all the glass too. Run another bead at every seam (that's the reason why you pop the back panel off).

Here's a pix after I finished upgrades.

Here's my first attempt at a home made active humidification system.

Don't laugh, it worked really fuggin good! It's a plastic spaghetti canister, 80mm fan, waterkeep conditioned silica and an oasis foam brick.

Total investment for the ENTIRE project was about $110. The hutch itself cost $80 so materials were only about $30 or so.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Forgot to say that the power supply for the humidifier was an old house phone that Iripped the DC receptacle and the cord. Ran it through a regular light timer (24 hour. 15 minute settings). Wired the molex connection into the receptacle and was good to go. I thought about wiring in a potentiometer (volume controller) so I could slow the fan down but never did.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You know, cigars are really not that sensitive. There is a really wide latitude that you can work with as long as you do it right. Keep it sealed and you'll be fine but temp is the most important thing to keep in mind. You don't want it getting hotter than 70-75 degrees at all. Hell, even cold temps can mess with a box more than the high end of the scale.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did. It's easy. Pop the back panel off and get silicon caulk and bead it good. Make sure you put a good bead on all the glass too. Run another bead at every seam (that's the reason why you pop the back panel off).

Don't laugh, it worked really fuggin good! It's a plastic spaghetti canister, 80mm fan, waterkeep conditioned silica and an oasis foam brick.

Total investment for the ENTIRE project was about $110. The hutch itself cost $80 so materials were only about $30 or so.
What did you use for a wick?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I used oasis foam (wet type florist foam). I'm pretty sure a brick costs like $5.00. Cool thing about it is it's easy to cut to shape, bad thing about it is it makes a horrid mess when you cut it to shape..

Rating - 100%
94   0   0

this is awesome...simply awesome. i hope you get a good laugh at us when we spend $2000 on the same thing...and a few boxes of cigars.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Nah...I get envious of every aristocrat I see, but at the time I was smoking about 3-4 cigars a day. Mine was a cheap fix for a growing need for more space. I had that filled in a month and filled 3 coolers in about 4 months time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, guys. We may be able to have something custom made with a cabinet for cigars. If we do, I'll be sure to post pics when we get it.