What's new

Caffiene Free Alternative To Coffee

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm a former home roaster, who used to drink 4 to 8 cups of Organic, Free Trade, small estate coffees each day. About a year ago, I developed a caffeine allergy. I tried decaf for a while, but the flavor just didn't do it for me, plus the 5 to 8 mg of caffeine in decaffeinated coffee still caused problems. I tried all kinds of caffeine free herbal teas (including Rooibos), but couldn't find anything worth drinking.

Recently, I ran across Teeccino brand herbal coffees made from roasted barley, carob, ramon seeds, chicory, dates, figs, almonds and other flavorings. Though it's not coffee, it's as close as I've been able to find. It's also low in acid, so no heart burn. They make about a dozen flavors, but my current favorite is the Java. It's really nice to once again be able to enjoy my morning "coffee". Oh, and it even pairs nice with a before breakfast cigar.

Just thought I'd pass this on for those who have problems with caffeine.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I drink de caf and have been for years and don't see a decrease in body or taste. I can drink regular coffee in the morning but don't like it at night as I want to sleep. I think de caf gets a bad rap for brands that are de caf and when it comes to FP de caf I just don't see a negative thing about it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Martin and Clint. If you decide to try this, just remember that this is not exactly coffee. It's a "coffee like" hot beverage, that stands on it's own. It has roasted notes and a full body like coffee, but tastes a little different. It took me a few pots to get used to it, but now I enjoy it as much as I did my high end coffees. It being non acidic, as well as a source of potassium and pro-biotics, is just a plus. I also found that the recommended brewing instruction is way too strong. I use only 2 scoops for a 10 cup pot.

I found the Original flavor to be too weak and sweet. The French roast too strong and bitter. The Mayan Chocolate has a deep chocolate flavor with spice from chilies. Interesting change of pace, but not for everyday. The Mocha tastes like dark hot chocolate with a hint of coffee. The flavored Chia, Chocolate Mint and Hazelnut where enjoyable around the holidays, but the Java is my "go to" everyday. YMMV.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I drink de caf and have been for years and don't see a decrease in body or taste. I can drink regular coffee in the morning but don't like it at night as I want to sleep. I think de caf gets a bad rap for brands that are de caf and when it comes to FP de caf I just don't see a negative thing about it.
I'm glad decaf works out for you. In the 10+ years I roasted my own, I never roasted a decaf that didn't taste "washed out". But then again, that's my taste, not yours. Keep in mind that decaf can still have up to 15 mg. of caffeine. Way too much for someone like me with an extreme caffeine allergy.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
this makes me sad, brother, i'll pray for you. o)

seriously, glad you could find a decent alternative to your favored bev. now if only i could find a non-alcoholic alternative to single barrel bourbon...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way I could function in life if I developed an allergy to caffeine. My father developed stomach issues when he was about my age and had to switch to tea for the remainder of his life, and I pray to God that this does not happen to me.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I drink chicory based coffee in India (or used to) and I absolutely hate it. Can't stand it now. Not sure if it's the fact that I don't like the flavor or it reminds me to much of a country I hate spending so much time in. :/

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There is no way I could function in life if I developed an allergy to caffeine. My father developed stomach issues when he was about my age and had to switch to tea for the remainder of his life, and I pray to God that this does not happen to me.
Stopping caffeine was a killer. Several days of extreme headaches, and I felt like I was in a fog for over a week. Now that I'm caffeine free, I really don't think I'd go back. Sure I miss roasting my own coffee, and experiencing the nuances and distinct characteristics of each of the different regions (like fine cigars and fine wine), but it's sure nice not being a slave to caffeine.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried stopping twice in my life both times I got so overwhelmed with work, like 90-hour weeks, that it was the only thing that got me through it. I also love the taste of coffee and decaf has never provided the same enjoyment. I am not a junkie in the sense that I have to drink caffeine all day long, but if I don't have a large cup in the morning and Coke Zero at lunch I'm not a happy camper.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm glad decaf works out for you. In the 10+ years I roasted my own, I never roasted a decaf that didn't taste "washed out". But then again, that's my taste, not yours. Keep in mind that decaf can still have up to 15 mg. of caffeine. Way too much for someone like me with an extreme caffeine allergy.
I've talked with a lot of coffee buddies and they came to the same conclusion you talk about..."being washed out" and I tend to add more beans to the cup of FP. I'm probably used to both the de caf and regular since I've been drinking coffee since I was a puppy..age 12 and 48 years later I still love it esp. French Press coffee. AS we get older our taste buds will die off and leave us with fewer ones to discern flavors...yes, even cigars. For younger patrons I'm sure that most can tell a difference and for those who a allergic...that has to be some kind of hell since so many things we eat and drink have caffeine in it.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I've always wondered about roasted barley. Afterall it gives stouts their roasty coffee like flavor I might try it sometime just for fun. I have various levels of roasted barley/malt..