What's new

Caldwell construction issues

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So as I'm sitting here, smoking a very tasty Eastern Standard corona, I'm thinking about all the construction issues I've had with the lances and pl's from TKID, LLTK, and ES... i love the flavors but all of them have been a challenge to keep lit. Have any of you had this problem? Is it specific to the smaller RGs and not the bigger sticks, or is it that I've got them too wet (64rh)?

Let me know what you think.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I have had probably 3 or 4 of the Murcias from the JV line, which is a toro size. No construction or burn issues at all, and a nice smoke.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
And that Corona, while tasty, had to see the end of my torch 3 times in all to get to the nub. I know I smoke slow, but jeeeez!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Maybe I'm the exception, but I've smoked several LLTK Jalapenos with no issues. I keep my NC's around 63-65%, so my rH is right there with yours.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I had one TKID that unraveled on me out of the box so I had to give it the pectin treatment. Other than that I have not had any issues.

Maybe you need to give them a little more down time or dry box them?

Just for grins and giggles, When was the last time that you recalibrated? (probably not an issue though if the other stuff from your humi is smoking OK)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It might just be the small RG's. I have smoked a good amount of caldwell and JV's since they came out and the only stick that has given me any issues is the es silk roads. To be fair I smoked 5 of them when they first came out without any issues at all but the last 5 pack I bought 2 were plugged completely and were unsmokeable and the other 3 all drew extremely snug. Otherwise I have had zero issues with any of their other lines and sizes. I kind of just accept that as the nature of the beast when dealing with a handmade organic product. You win some you lose some. I still love that cigar haha.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there good smoke productio? If not then the issue may be that the tobacco is too young in the fermentation proccess.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an extreme mixed bag with Caldwell. Out of 4 or so 5ers i have got 3 or 4 beauties that burn and taste incredible, then a plugged off flavor PITA. I usually blame my palette for the one offs but Caldwell has been to consistently inconsistent.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The few that I've smoked had no construction issues. I still have more that I'll get into once I get back, but currently they stay at 65rh and I dry box for 4-6 hours before smoking.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
attempted to smoke a Long Live the King (my style is jalapeno).
Very little smoke production. Burn was not too bad.
Nearing the band and out she goes. Very, very soft spot.
Was no reviving the cigar. I ended up taking the stick apart
at this point and the construction was terrible towards the head of the cigar.
Might have to pass on these until Caldwell gets past the current growing pains.