What's new

Calibrating with propelene glycol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, newbie here.
I'm a pipe smoker and recently I was introduced to cigars and love it. I have to admit that I inhale a little at the end of the puff, so I like medium body, creamy, complex cigars. Since last August, I have been watching many u-tube videos about cigars and I believe I have learned a thing or two.
I got my 100 count humidor which I duly seasoned with distilled water. Now I have access to pure propelene glycol which I use in a 50-50 solution in the humidor. It keeps mty cigars at exactly 70% humidity. I use a calibrated electronic hygrometer which I drafted from my violin case. I have a caliber 4 in the mail and I will be calibrating it in a zip-lock bag and the aforementioned 50-50 glycol solution.
Another question is that I live in Cuprus where temperatures reach 100 degrees in the summer. WhateveI do, the temperature is going to creep up to the high 80's. Will this destroy my cigars with beetles or there is something I can do to prevent any damage.
Please advise me.
Thank you for any answers ans also thank you for admitting me into this great cigar forum.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's probably better to put the cigars in ziplocks in your refrigerator for the hottest months. At 70% you are not far (5%?) from mold problems at the temperatures mentioned so either consider lowering your humidity or cooling the cigars. If you have any concerns about beetles you can treat your cigars in the freezer to kill eggs and larvae. There are lots of discussions on the board about beetle prevention. Beetles are also temperature and humidity sensitive and I'm afraid the high temperatures and humidity could be a problem.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably better to put the cigars in ziplocks in your refrigerator for the hottest months. At 70% you are not far (5%?) from mold problems at the temperatures mentioned so either consider lowering your humidity or cooling the cigars. If you have any concerns about beetles you can treat your cigars in the freezer to kill eggs and larvae. There are lots of discussions on the board about beetle prevention. Beetles are also temperature and humidity sensitive and I'm afraid the high temperatures and humidity could be a problem.
Thank you for yor learned answer, humidity during the summer months is between 35-55%. What should the ideal humidity be in this hot temperatures?