What's new

Calling all Coffee Roasters: Need Grinder Advice

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have upped both my cigar game and bourbon / whiskey game thanks to this forum. :cigar:

Now it is finally time to up my coffee game. I just ordered a OXO 12 cup brewing system on clearance to replace my ancient Cuisinart that has served me well for over 15 years. https://www.oxo.com/products/small-appliances/coffee-tea/oxo-on-12-cup-coffee-brewing-system.

I know we have a bunch of coffee roasters on the forum, so what do you use to grind up your coffee??
I was considering the following (in no particular order):
1. Baratza Encore Refurb (Baratza, $99.99)
2. Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder (Costco, $89.99)
3. Bodum Burr Grinder (Various, $59.99 sale or clearance)

My budget is $100 for a coffee grinder that will last me a long, long time. I will be mostly grinding for pour overs or a drip machine. No espresso or Turkish coffee, but would like flexibility if possible.
What is everyone using?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've used the same Capresso Infinity for about six or seven years and haven't had any issues....great consistent grinds and easy to clean. Between eBay and Amazon open box/returns there are some good deals to be found.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I used one of those for years as well, very reliable. The burrs dulled eventually and wouldn't grind uniformly as i liked, so i bought a Baratza that was too adjustable. I don't need 20x26 levels of adjustment. And the extra adjustment collar kept stripping. It turned out to be a hassle. That was my experience with a mid-range grinder. Now my Vario W is practically flawless. Still more adjustable than i really need, but super reliable. So go cheap and reliable or way too expensive and reliable, but stay away from the middle ground. That's my experience anyway.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
it's sad to say that most grinders aren't adjustable less you spend alot of money. i am sure you can findem but they will be expinsive. most of the time if your buying artisan coffee the shop will grind it how ever you like. head to marshalls and get a press 29.00 how come you don't like espresso you can make lattes

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I still have not purchased a coffee grinder. I have been buying small quantities of coffee beans at local grocers ( Whole Foods, Fresh Thyme, Earth Fare) and using their commercial grinder on site. Still on the hunt for a grinder but this method is working well for now. All ground coffee is stored in air tight containers to keep it as fresh as possible. New OXO coffee maker rocks as well even though it takes up a ton of counter space.
Thanks again for suggestions and input!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You know there are also some good hand grinders you can use, too. Hario Skerton has worked well for me for a long time, both when between other grinders and also for camping and Coffee Outside events. Those are less pricey.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I've been using a hand one and it seems to work well enough to me. I'm watching this thread to see if there's an easier affordable option out there.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
41yHW3clV+L._SY450_.jpg
I've had most of the burr grinders already mentioned but several years ago I bought one of these...it's a manual burr grinder but you get to set the exact type of grind you want and these work just as good as any burr grinder out there. I bought 4 of them because after a year or so the ceramic wheel wheel can degrade over time if not cleaned properly after every 2 or 3 uses. Use the brush to clean out grinds and the wheel will last longer...I'm still using the one I have now after 2 years and have 3 left...for $9 how can you go wrong? They are great when travelling and once you get used to this kind of device you'll stop with the electric ones unless you have that kind of disposable income to throw $100 or over for a grinder.

One of the things I do not like about electric grinders is the static it leaves behind...never have this issue with a manual burr grinder and as noted they are only good for a 20 ounce cup...that's the only drawback but I have about half a dozen FP mugs and when we have guests I just do 3 of them assembly line style.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coffee life changed when I bought the Mini Mill hand grinder. It's really for a single cup but it's a little slice of magic.

I'd second the advice about going big or staying home if you need something for a whole pot; if you only one cup I'd go with a ceramic hand grinder, in the $25-40 range

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
My coffee life changed when I bought the Mini Mill hand grinder. It's really for a single cup but it's a little slice of magic.

I'd second the advice about going big or staying home if you need something for a whole pot; if you only one cup I'd go with a ceramic hand grinder, in the $25-40 range
Excellent point! Don't get a hand grinder if you're doing more than one or two single cups!

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I've been drinking specialty coffee (14-24$ for 12-16oz) for around two years and roasting my own for one. I mostly do pour over but also grind for a refillable Kcup on the rare occasion. I started out with a cuisinart burr grinder and used that for a good 23 months.. I decided I needed to upgrade because all the research I've done points to a good grind=better coffee. I went with the baratza encore. Few things I noticed:

Cuisinart: not enough grind settings, loud, makes a lot of powdery fines, really inconsistent grind size.

Baratza Encore: plenty of grind settings, somewhat quieter, no powdery fines, three times the grind consistency.

So the first cup of coffee I made with it; 100% noticeable difference in the cup. It's profile is cleaner and has better separation in tasting notes. If you are spending a lot of money on coffee (really, I recommend regardless of price) these are golden rules that I think are must follows.

- roast on date
- whole bean (grind right before every brew)
- quality grinder and also knowing your grind setting/size for your method of brewing.
- following a water/coffee ratio makes your cup consistent and repeatable. Also you won't overpower the cup by using too much or thin it out by using too little. I use the SCAA cupping ratio; 1.63 grams (whole bean) coffee per 1 fluid ounce of water.
-when doing pour over or FP, do not take water right off of boil and pour. Let it rest for 30sec to a minute before brewing. (195-205 if you want specifics and feel like checking) brewing too hot will speed up extraction and produce more undesirable flavors.

Before I was ignorant and now I am educated. So when I make coffee (and spend a lot on it) I want to get what I'm paying for. You would be surprised at what a difference it makes When you do it right. My eyes have been opened on numerous occasions, so I figure I'd pass some info down the line. Hope it helps.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I've been drinking specialty coffee (14-24$ for 12-16oz) for around two years and roasting my own for one. I mostly do pour over but also grind for a refillable Kcup on the rare occasion. I started out with a cuisinart burr grinder and used that for a good 23 months.. I decided I needed to upgrade because all the research I've done points to a good grind=better coffee. I went with the baratza encore. Few things I noticed:

Cuisinart: not enough grind settings, loud, makes a lot of powdery fines, really inconsistent grind size.

Baratza Encore: plenty of grind settings, somewhat quieter, no powdery fines, three times the grind consistency.

So the first cup of coffee I made with it; 100% noticeable difference in the cup. It's profile is cleaner and has better separation in tasting notes. If you are spending a lot of money on coffee (really, I recommend regardless of price) these are golden rules that I think are must follows.

- roast on date
- whole bean (grind right before every brew)
- quality grinder and also knowing your grind setting/size for your method of brewing.
- following a water/coffee ratio makes your cup consistent and repeatable. Also you won't overpower the cup by using too much or thin it out by using too little. I use the SCAA cupping ratio; 1.63 grams (whole bean) coffee per 1 fluid ounce of water.
-when doing pour over or FP, do not take water right off of boil and pour. Let it rest for 30sec to a minute before brewing. (195-205 if you want specifics and feel like checking) brewing too hot will speed up extraction and produce more undesirable flavors.

Before I was ignorant and now I am educated. So when I make coffee (and spend a lot on it) I want to get what I'm paying for. You would be surprised at what a difference it makes When you do it right. My eyes have been opened on numerous occasions, so I figure I'd pass some info down the line. Hope it helps.
You think you have zero fines with your encore? Try the Vario with flat steel burrs! That's no fines, baby!

To add a couple points here to this fine post:

Measuring beans by weight and water by volume is a pain in the ass. It's OK to measure water by weight too. You're looking to get around a 16:1 water:coffee ratio. Makes it a lot easier when using a scale.

Time your brew. Compare to brew guides on the net it get an app with brew timers. Intelligentsia has an excellent and informative app that has brew instructions and timers that you can adjust by weight. It's really well done. (Not sure if it's available on Android)

Timing is a great way to know if your grind is right if you aren't going to go super coffee nerd and get a refractometer asked start measuring TDS levels (total dissolved solids). If you're trying to do a pour over and it's going too fast, adjust your grind to the finer side. Too slow, coarser. The size of the grind depends on the length of contact with water, basically. The longer the contact, the coarser the grind, and vice versa.

Humidity and temperature can affect how coffee brews, especially espresso. You may want to experiment with differing grinds based on other factors.

To counter the advice on brew temperature (he's not wrong) there are other things to factor in. In my case it's elevation. I can't get my water to 205°, so letting water sit off the boil is bad, for me. Also your brew method may call for different temperatures. Some poor over methods lose a LOT of heat in brewing. Check the temperature of your slurry, especially if you're being with something ceramic which sucks heat like you wouldn't believe (pre-heat!)

As for roast on date, there's such a thing as too fresh. Look for coffees that you can use between 5-10 days after roast.

That's enough out of me!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hand ground my coffee for four cups for over a year or so. I was stupid. I only hand grind for French press, my morning wake up coffee is preground. much better start to day. I would like a decent burr grinder as well that is under $100 too.