What's new

Can beads get moldy?

lambing

San Jose, CA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using beads for a while with great success.
They're in a tube with air holes punched in the sides.

Lately I've been using a PUCK, and placing the tube in the humidor only when I get in a new shipment of cigars, and have to bring them up to humidity.

When adding distilled water to the tube a few days ago, I noticed the inside of one of the end caps looked moldy, and some of the beads had turned green.

I checked all the cigars for telltale signs, but everything looks fine.

Anybody else experience bead discoloration?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i have had beads get discolored. that did not hurt the performance. you should send a PM to Dave (viper139). He is the "bead man".

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ron gave me the okie dokie to answer your question.

Mold can grow on the beads but it is very rare. Generally when it happens the beads have been kept way too wet, in fact sometimes sitting in water. You can dry them out with a hair dryer until they are completely white then remove the ones that you see actual discoloration on. Carefully dry out and clean the tube itself as well. Re-hydrate the beads to about 70-80% of them clear and put them back to work. Keep an eye on them for a while until you are sure the mold does not come back.

If you are uncomfortable with the possibility that the mold will return just replace them.

David
Viper139