What's new

Can bourbon sit in oak too long?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you think a bourbon can sit in the barrel long enough that the oak influence starts making the bourbon one dimensional? Simply too much oak? Is there an age where you start avoiding the older bourbons?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I hear people talk about this a lot but I've yet to actually taste an over-aged bourbon. Maybe it's because I'm drinking the cheap stuff. :ROFLMAO:

-Charles

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I think bourbon can definitely get over oaked. I’ve had two bottles that come to mind that were super oaky and not pleasant at all. The first was a bottle of Rhetoric 24 and the other was a bottle of Noah’s Mill (which surprised me because I’ve some nice pours of Noah’s Mill before).

I think various factors can play a part in this as well though, as opposed to it strictly being an age thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the info I have/had a chance at some 14 yr old Knob Creek that I think I'll let slide.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Word among home distillers is that aging (off the oak) can mellow out a spirit that has been over oaked, but that is small scale stuff dealing with oak chips/staves over the period of weeks/months, not in a barrel over a decade. If it's bad on it's own, it could still be good blended with other whiskey(s). The oakiness could compliment something else in small amounts. If it were me, I'd go for it, unless they were asking big $