What's new

Can we talk Tequila?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bourbon, Scotch, Rum I have a pretty good sampling of styles. Time to try something new.

Tequila? Not sure I could be a fan of the strong vegetal notes of Blanco but if you have a good one please let us know. I'm most interested in complex tequilas with solid barrel notes

Any thing you drink while smoking a cigar?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, lets! Soooo, I have been digging blancos lately. Campo Azul, Casamigos, Avion, even ol Patron. Love them with cigars! But I get what you mean. Blancos are a bright, vegetal kinda thing. If you want darker and more barrel-ized....Casamigos Anejo, Codigo, El Tesoro all come to mind. I initially thought Casamigos would be all hype and celebrity tie-in overpriced nonsense but it is damn good. Probably what I would pick to drink if someone else picked up my tab so that's the test right there.

I wanna get into mezcals next. Don't know anything about them.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hade the same impression about Casamigos until I read the reviews. Seems like both the Anejo and Reposado falls into my wheelhouse and for under $50 a bottle it doesn't stretch the budget that bad.

The Codigo is over $100 a bottle except for the Blanco and Reposado The Reposado seems like it's flavor profile is more like a Blanco then an Anejo

El Tesoro Anejo and Don Julio Anejo are on my "pick up next round" list

In addition to the Casamigos I'm looking at

El Jimador Anejo
Amorado Anejo
Corralego Reposado

any experience with these?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I hade the same impression about Casamigos until I read the reviews. Seems like both the Anejo and Reposado falls into my wheelhouse and for under $50 a bottle it doesn't stretch the budget that bad.

The Codigo is over $100 a bottle except for the Blanco and Reposado The Reposado seems like it's flavor profile is more like a Blanco then an Anejo

El Jimador Anejo
Amorado Anejo
Corralego Reposado

Oh I didn't get the Codigo anejo because of that very price point. Hell with that. :ROFLMAO: I got the reposado and it was wonderful. I have had Jimador Anejo but I did the whole salt/lime thing with it. I remember it being MUCH better than bar tequilas/Cuervo/etc but not quite on par with the Patrons, etc. I would recommend Herradura for a slightly higher price point but it's really good stuff. Have had blanco/reposado/anejo and all are good. The Blanco makes wonderful Palomas/margs.

Edit: I will be completely honest and admit that my initial purchase of Codigo was fueled solely by me being a lifelong King George fan. The first and only time celebrity marketing has worked on me!

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
If you live within a reasonable distance of Total Wine, as much as I hate shopping there, the "El Padrino" line is a tremendous value (it's exclusive to TW). For you, skip the blanco. I would recommend the Anejo and Extra Anejo, and then circling back for the Reposado later if you like either of the anejos.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Total Wine and I have become close friends. Only problem I have is most salesfloor people will recommend the Spirits Direct liquors first. After a couple of "adequate" bottles I've learned to seek recommendations before trying them. They where real big on the Anejo and Extra Anejo yesterday. I'll take your advice and give them a try! At $35 and $60 they are tempting.

I think I'm going to pickup the El Padrino and the Casamigos as my first attempts to develop an appreciation of aged tequila. I'll keep my eyes open for the Abandonado

Thanks for the help

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Total Wine and I have become close friends. Only problem I have is most salesfloor people will recommend the Spirits Direct liquors first. After a couple of "adequate" bottles I've learned to seek recommendations before trying them. They where real big on the Anejo and Extra Anejo yesterday. I'll take your advice and give them a try! At $35 and $60 they are tempting.

I think I'm going to pickup the El Padrino and the Casamigos as my first attempts to develop an appreciation of aged tequila. I'll keep my eyes open for the Abandonado

Thanks for the help
I could not agree more! FWIW, the anejo and reposado come in 50ml and 375ml offerings. I don't believe the Extra Anejo comes in any of the smaller bottles. But, they're a convenient way to find out if you're even remotely interested.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I keep seeing that one. Guess I gotta buy it now.
The crazy thing Carlos is that I believe Texas is the only state in the US where this is currently sold. We used to get ours form California, but have had to source it from Spec's in DFW the last couple years.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The crazy thing Carlos is that I believe Texas is the only state in the US where this is currently sold. We used to get ours form California, but have had to source it from Spec's in DFW the last couple years.
Whoa really? Man that's some dedication. Must be amazing. I'm getting it on my next Spec's trip.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Some of my favorite tequilas:

Codigo 1530 Blanco. All of the Codigo line are fantastic!

Gran Centenario Tequila Plata (silver)

Gran Centenario Anejo (my go to tequila)

Herradura Ultra Tequila

3 Amigos Anejo Tequila

Don Julio Anejo Tequila

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

El Jimador Anejo
Amorado Anejo
Corralego Reposado

The Corralejo reposado is fantastic. I like it better than the anejo... great for sipping and cheap enough to mix. Good replacement for Tenoch since I haven’t seen it in over 2 decades..