What's new

Canister help

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have an old canister type humidor about 6 1/2 - 7 inches tall, 25 capacity. It has a clay disk for it's humidification and would like to use beads in it. What's the best way to go?

Puck?

Bead tube?

I'm using Bovedas right now but I'll need to get more shortly so I'm asking now before I go with more Bovedas.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I am assuming that your humidor is one of these plastic, airtight, kitchen cannister type humidors. I still use 1, and they work well.

I would use Heartfelt beads, or the Boveda.

The Boveda is what I call "mindless humidification". No water to add, and accurate as can be. The Boveda can come in contact with your cigars, so installation is not an issue. No containers needed, just toss it in your humidor. In the canister humidor, it should last for a year.

As we all know, Heartfelt beads are awesome too. There is a good chance that you can take apart your existing humidifier, take out the clay, and refill it with Heartfelt beads. You just have to make sure that you add in the correct amount of water when needed, and they will perform great.

If you cant use your existing humidifier case, contact dave from heartfelt. He will be introducing a bunch of new containers for his beads.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
The boveda I have in there has lasted about 3 months or so. It was one that I had in my humidor and I placed it in the canister about 3-4 weeks ago. It's still "good" but it's not perfect.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
by Humidipaks standards, a Boveda pack in a 25 count humidor should last about 6 months. If it is getting used up faster than that, then your humidors seal might not be perfect. doesnt mean the humidor is bad, just means it will need more maintainance. That means replacing the Boveda more often. One thing about beads is that they do not hold a lot of water. so in a leaking humidor, you need more beads, or just have to add water more often. If you agree that the seal on your humidor isnt perfect, you could also go with a humidifer thats a little more robust. for thier size, the paradigm units hold a lot of water, and tend to do a good job in a leaky humidor.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Here is a couple of attached photo's

The lid on the canister is inverted so you can see the clay disk.
The liner is cork. I've been using it for my bands but would like to use it for cigars eventually.

I've also started getting some of the aluminum Bottle canisters. I would like to clean them up put them to use. Any ideas on how/what to use on the bottles? i was thinking of using a bead tube inside of the throat of the bottle but am open to suggestions.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
In the past, I used the Drymistat brand of humidity tubes in cigar jars. They worked great. You didnt need a hygrometer. You just checked the level of the crystals once in a while. As they shrunk, you added water. Only negative was they used propylene glycol, so humidity was at 70%. Very easy to use.

Honestly, If it was my choice, I would use the Boveda. Its absolutely mindless. Just check the pack once in a while and make sure it has that jelly like feel. When it starts to get hard, just replace them. They are accurate, and will keep your cigars perfectly. You wont need a hygrometer if you use the Boveda.

We all know that beads would work great too. Only drawback would be that you really would need a hygrometer in the jar to know if the beads are getting dry.