In general I like the brand.

I've tried thus far:
Gold
Black
Maduro
Brazillia
Cameroon
Corillo

The Gold is real mild and creamy which is a nice change of pace. The Black is very ceadery, its alright, I'm not sure it lives up to the hype. Maduro and the Brazillia were both solid. The Corillo was much too spicy for my taste. The best of the bunch that I've tried was the Cameroon; smooth, toothy, and lip smaking.

What do you guys think about CAO? A part of me thinks that they have a great brand image and might be a tad overrated as a result. Don't get me wrong, nice smokes all, but not overwhelming.

Thoughts?

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A part of me thinks that they have a great brand image and might be a tad overrated as a result. Don't get me wrong, nice smokes all, but not overwhelming.
My thoughts exactly. You pay a premium for a premium NC name; there are other cheaper cigars I would much rather have, most of which are CC.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
IMHO, the CAO brand of cigars are all decent smokes; that is to say, I haven't had one yet that I thought wasn't worth smoking. But in general, I think they are priced too high-- at the prices they ask, there are many other cigars that are far superior.

The lone exception to that is the CAO Black. Since it's a CI-only deal, it's actually dirt-cheap compared to other CAO sticks...retail CAO prices are generall several dollars more than what the Blacks cost from CI. And while the Black isn't a complex cigar, it's honestly a pretty good blend for a medium-bodied cigar. I enjoy them, but I highly recommend aging them first (I know, not something you're in a situation to do at the moment).

For the money, if you want a better quality NC at better prices, look at the Padron thousands series; I really like the 3000 for a cheap smoke. And if you like maduros, I'd recommend both the Hoyo Excalibur 1066 "Dark Knight" as well as the Partagas Black. If you like strong cigars, take a look at the Camacho Corojo (one of my faves).

Oh, and if you want cheapassed cigars from CI that you won't mind giving away AND you'll actually enjoy smoking, take a look at those crappy PIRATES GOLD cigars they sell. A buddy of mine bought a couple bundles and I was truly surprised how good they are...so much so that I went ahead and ordered a couple bundles for myself as yard/garage/pool 'gars.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Value always figures into my ratings because I'm a cheap bastard. CAO makes good cigars but not my favorites because they seem overpriced.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've had almost all of the lines so far, bought a box of extremes cuz i liked them so much, the odyssey i had was awesome, and i want more. i just got a box of black man o' wars (60 ring guage is fucking crazy, but in a good way) and i was fooling enough to smoke the first one of them before i'd eaten anything that day (wow.) the cameroon i like a lot, but i've yet to try the criollo, brazil (both of which i now have sitting in my humi, thanks indyrob :thumbsup:) soprano, vision (not really interested in either), italia (been waiting over a month for my local buddy to get another couple of boxes in, want to give him the business), CX2 or gold.

I liked the MX2 more than the regular maduro, though.

however, regarding the price i will agree, these arent sticks i will make a habit of buying qualtities of (at least untill i get a real job), but i've liked every one i've smoked and i can't say that about many other brands.

I also bought a box of the bella vanilla robustos for my girlfriend to smoke (got them at about half price, so it was a no brainer) cuz she likes them, and i didnt mind the puff or two ive had of those either.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They have done a good job at marketing themselves. I'm split. I did not like the Criollo at all, but did enjoy the Gold. I'm wanting to try the Brazilia Gol! next.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
CAO makes a fine cigar. I think like wine, single malt scotch and cigars you progress. I can remember finding CAO and my first Brazilia. I thought this was the cigar of cigars and bought boxes. I really liked the Italia as well but was moving on by then to more CC's. I tried the MX, CX and Soprano and compared to a BBF they just didn't make it. It does not make these bad cigars for the market. Just that I moved on taste wise. I have a few Sambas, Anaconda's and Italias in my NC box. They come out once and a while. If I could not find or get CC's. I think I would go right back.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I wasn't impressed with the Gold that much. Seems like I could get the same taste by inhaling and exhaling instead of smoking it. LOL...the rest were pretty good.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I first started smoking, the CAO Gold Corona was one of my favorite cigars...It was beautifully constructed, had a nice smooth flavor, and packed just enough punch so that I remembered I was smoking something...I do still go back to the CAO Gold every now and again..

Definately have to agree with you on the Criollo, it was just too spicy to be enjoyable...And the Black was just too mild to be enjoyable..

drew