What's new

Car troubles

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So, yesterday on our way home from dinner I was excelerating onto the highway and as the engine RPM climbed there was suddenly a 'pop' noise followed by a loud 'hiss'. I immediately noticed a reduction in power and there is now a loud 'puffing' noise which seems to be associated to the ignition of one cylinder. It almost sounds as if the muffler fell off but just not the noise associated with the all six cyllinders being 'un-muffled'.

The sound is concentrated on the back side of the horizontally aligned engine. My best guess is that one of two things happened:

a. The gasket on the exhaust manifold failed in one area and that is why it is distinct individual puff intead of an overall engine noise. Covered by warranty.

b. Part of the manifold itself failed e.g. a hole as created. Covered by warranty.

Regardless of what happened it should be covered, it's a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that we bought in October 2003 and it has 45k miles on it. We bought the extended warranty and have 40k more miles 'till that ends.

IHT

Im-Ho-Tep
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
wish i could help out....

have you checked for recall notices about that particular problem? you may get a new engine (plus all the work) for free.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say either the exhaust manifold gasket, the manifold "doughnut", or you cracked the manifold. All are (were?) common problems with Chrysler vehicles of 90's vintage, not sure if it carried on. The power loss comes from a drop in back pressure, causing that one cylinder to have no power except for in a wide open throttle situation. You might actually experience a gain in power there, but that's all theory stuff. Taker in and let us know how it goes.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
ROFL Rodney! I usually try jiggling the battery cable and some other wires when anything goes wrong with a car. Then I take it to a professional. Good Luck Todd. I hope it turns out to be something simple and inexpensive.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
:squinteye The muffler bearing could of been damaged causing this problem :squinteye

Or it could be a loose or dislocated spark plug.

This would make for a neat contest Todd.
Who ever guesses the right ailment of your car gets a package. :blob:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
john tripp said:
:squinteye The muffler bearing could of been damaged causing this problem :squinteye

Or it could be a loose or dislocated spark plug.

This would make for a neat contest Todd.
Who ever guesses the right ailment of your car gets a package. :blob:
Score! :blob: