What's new

Catalytic Converter RANT

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just had to rant about this to help me calm down. :bangbang:

So my wife and I carpool into work each day. Have been for about 7 years now. That means I need to leave a car at work to get to our other offices if needed during the day.

Anyhow I have a 2010 Tundra Crewmax. Last night some out of work, piece of sh*t, ayeshole decided to borrow my catalytic converter, O2 sensor, etc. They were nice enough to unbolt it without cutting any of the pipes, but still come on.

Apparently this has been going on for a while. I did a google search and found responses over and over back to at least 2008.

So now I have to pull my trailer this weekend and the Toyota dealer told me that there are no parts around at any of the dealers and that they won't know until Thursday if it will be ready. :cursing:

Needless to say I'm glad that I have insurance because the bill is going to be just over $2k. Thanks alot. I hope you fall in that salvage yard you are taking my stuff too and someone goes all SOA on your ass.

OK, I feel a little better now.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
A Catalytic convertor is not but about $100 or so off ebay. Or about $300 at a muffler shop. I'd go to a muffler shop before I'd go to any dealer with that issue.

Search for an O2 Simulator, it will make the computer think the Os sensor is there and run fine. It plugs in place of the sensor. But the simulator and sensor are about the same price.

They are agter the convertors for the platinum in them.
Why they took the sensor?? Odd.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Can you buy decat pipes for those?

Might be worth running it without a car once the insurance has sorted it all out for you

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for the info. I did a quick ebay search but didn't find anything. Even looked on craigs but only a request to buy them for a buck. Problem is CA. I can find plenty that are 48 or 49 state legal.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
For the weekend have a "test pipe" or "race pipe" made at muffler shop. Just give them length and diameter...they should make it for 40 or so. Will not pass emisions at all, you will have to install and check engine light will be on...but no harm and your car will run fine. Telling the muffler shop it is for ANY reason other than off road use is criminal charge and they could loose license. Sounds shady...but really is fine and works. Used to do it a lot for my old street race cars.

It will last you till the cat comes in for sure.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
A Catalytic convertor is not but about $100 or so off ebay. Or about $300 at a muffler shop. I'd go to a muffler shop before I'd go to any dealer with that issue.

Search for an O2 Simulator, it will make the computer think the Os sensor is there and run fine. It plugs in place of the sensor. But the simulator and sensor are about the same price.

They are agter the convertors for the platinum in them.
Why they took the sensor?? Odd.
I can't imagine it being a good idea to run the car with a O2 sensor simulator. One of the things the O2 sensor does is allow your car to determine what the exact air fuel ratio is. Can you explain further how a simulator would work?

I guess they could sell it used to someone for $10. O2 sensors aren't cheap.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
An O2 Simulator is nothing more than a resister I do belive.
The Computer sends a signal (voltage) to the sensor and if the air is right, the resistance in the electrical current is right. The computer reads the right voltage or wrong voltage and adds air or fuel to the mix.
Its similar to the mass air flow sensor in a throttle body. You can put a resister in it and the computer thows a little more fuel in the mix for more umph going down the road.

Being in CA , I'd just go to a muffler shop to get it straightened out. I don't know how they do emmissions tests, but with out a Cat, you'd fail.