What's new

CC Virgin.....Update...Cherry Popped!!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I’ve only been smoking cigars for the last 12-18 months and I have built up a modest collection of NC cigars. Currently I’m not an everyday cigar smoker. I usually smoke 1-2 cigars a week. I really enjoy kicking back and taking my time smoking a cigar trying to pick out the different flavors and nuisances, it totally relaxes me and mellows me out, its a real treat for me. For the last little bit I’ve been lurking around the CC part of the forum and now you bastages have got my curiosity going. Y’all got me to wondering that if I enjoy NC cigars like I do would CC take it to that next level? Well, would it!?? I have never smoked a CC and I’m not looking for a handout here. I’m just wondering if they are really that much better than NC cigars? However, I’m really overwhelmed and completely lost with the box codes and all of that. Maybe it’s just me, but trying to get into CC is a TOTALLY different monster than getting into NC cigars. I mean it’s not like you can just drop into your local B&M and buy a few singles from different brands to figure out what you like before dropping the cash on a box of smokes only to figure out you don’t like that particular stick. Then there is the whole problem of finding a reputable vendor without getting screwed a few times before finding one that is affordable and trustworthy. I would really appreciate some direction on how to go about getting my feet wet in this area of the hobby. I will continue to read as many posts as I can in an attempt to learn as much as I can. It’s just that being new to all this at times I have trouble making out what’s being said and have trouble reading between the lines. Please feel free to PM me if you would rather not discuss any of this on the open forum. If I’m going about this in the wrong manner I apologize and the Mods can feel free to delete this post. Thanks.

Jody

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Just a few thoughts here from someone who's also very new to them.
They're good, and different. Better or not is really a matter of opinion, specific comparison, and palate preference. And where you're at in your cigar journey. Many who develop a taste for them lose their taste for NC's. But some still enjoy both.
They can be kind of frustrating as the quality consistency isn't great on many, (definitely invest in a perfec draw before buying a box) and often times they need aging to reach their potential.
And they are more expensive in general.
But if you find yourself gravitating to lighter subtler smokes, they may be up your alley.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I’ve only been smoking cigars for the last 12-18 months and I have built up a modest collection of NC cigars. Currently I’m not an everyday cigar smoker. I usually smoke 1-2 cigars a week. I really enjoy kicking back and taking my time smoking a cigar trying to pick out the different flavors and nuisances, it totally relaxes me and mellows me out, its a real treat for me. For the last little bit I’ve been lurking around the CC part of the forum and now you bastages have got my curiosity going. Y’all got me to wondering that if I enjoy NC cigars like I do would CC take it to that next level? Well, would it!?? I have never smoked a CC and I’m not looking for a handout here. I’m just wondering if they are really that much better than NC cigars? However, I’m really overwhelmed and completely lost with the box codes and all of that. Maybe it’s just me, but trying to get into CC is a TOTALLY different monster than getting into NC cigars. I mean it’s not like you can just drop into your local B&M and buy a few singles from different brands to figure out what you like before dropping the cash on a box of smokes only to figure out you don’t like that particular stick. Then there is the whole problem of finding a reputable vendor without getting screwed a few times before finding one that is affordable and trustworthy. I would really appreciate some direction on how to go about getting my feet wet in this area of the hobby. I will continue to read as many posts as I can in an attempt to learn as much as I can. It’s just that being new to all this at times I have trouble making out what’s being said and have trouble reading between the lines. Please feel free to PM me if you would rather not discuss any of this on the open forum. If I’m going about this in the wrong manner I apologize and the Mods can feel free to delete this post. Thanks.

Jody
Find good deals and dig in. Store them at 65% RH and let them all rest 30 days in your humidor for them to acclimatize properly.

You will find a bunch of people claim bad construction on them. Pay no mind to them. They don’t know any better.

And 2017 codes are killer right now. You can buy aged but it will be your call if you are willing to pay a premium.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I wouldn’t say they are necessarily better but they are different. I have only been smoking cigars for about 3 years but within the last year I find myself reaching for ccs more often than not. As far as quality I’m with @ChuckMejia, I rarely have any quality issues. When I first started smoking ccs my humidor was kept at about 70% and I did notice very tight draws, now I keep it at 64% and never have any problems fwiw

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Where are you guys finding these boxes with quality issues?

Haven’t ran into one and I smoke a shit ton of them.

What box and code are you referring to?
I think I just prefer a much lighter draw and more voluminous smoke output than you. Plugs and tight draw piss me off. Just messes up the smoking experience for me. I've ended up with a variety across the board that are set aside until I grab a perfec draw.
20180408_213010.jpg

Stored at 62 and even tried dry boxing.
I can get some air through most of these, just very little.
But the other point on the quality front, I've noticed quite a flavor and construction variance across box codes and dates. Definitely agreed on the 17s.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think I just prefer a much lighter draw and more voluminous smoke output than you. Plugs and tight draw piss me off. Just messes up the smoking experience for me. I've ended up with a variety across the board that are set aside until I grab a perfec draw.
View attachment 111719

Stored at 62 and even tried dry boxing.
I can get some air through most of these, just very little.
But the other point on the quality front, I've noticed quite a flavor and construction variance across box codes and dates. Definitely agreed on the 17s.
Do you always pre cut your cigars? Or were these all cut and have a tight draw? Just wondering sorry for getting off topic

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys!

Just a few thoughts here from someone who's also very new to them.
They're good, and different. Better or not is really a matter of opinion, specific comparison, and palate preference. And where you're at in your cigar journey. Many who develop a taste for them lose their taste for NC's. But some still enjoy both.
They can be kind of frustrating as the quality consistency isn't great on many, (definitely invest in a perfec draw before buying a box) and often times they need aging to reach their potential.
And they are more expensive in general.
But if you find yourself gravitating to lighter subtler smokes, they may be up your alley.
@Glassman
Yeah, I grabbed a PerfectDraw and a bottle of the glue a few weeks ago. Both are great products. Thanks.

Jody

Find good deals and dig in. Store them at 65% RH and let them all rest 30 days in your humidor for them to acclimatize properly.

You will find a bunch of people claim bad construction on them. Pay no mind to them. They don’t know any better.

And 2017 codes are killer right now. You can buy aged but it will be your call if you are willing to pay a premium.
@ChuckMejia
I wasn’t referring to any box code specifically, just that figuring out in general which ones to go after and trying to keep up with which ones are good/bad. I have no problem aging cigars and kind of enjoying doing with NC cigars. I have a few NC that are coming up on being in the humidor for 2 years. Getting kind of excited to give them a try to see if it makes much of a difference, enemy though I have read that with most NC cigars it’s not necessary to age that long. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Jody

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My cigars always have light draw and great smoke production.... I mean... you can always vape :)

But I disagree with you claming they have many construction issues based on some sampler you ran into.
I ain't "claiming" shit, I'm nowhere near the only person to have such experiences. These came from a variety of good brothers. Hell, the Mag 46 came from you!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Re read your first post and you will see what you’re “claiming” as bad quality.

Want me to requote it?
You're saying "claiming" like I'm making it up, or I'm the only one to experience it. Just not the case. You know construction varies, and flavor varies greatly across codes and years, you've said so yourself. Want me to quote it??

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You're just being an ass and you know it.
Yeah, apparently the consistency is a lot better than it used to be, but it isn't great comparatively. To claim anything else is just being obstinate.
And now are you just gonna gloss over the flavor variances just to focus on coming up with stuff to bust my balls about?

Speaking of busting balls, how is it that Jody is on here using his real name, and none of you military guys are giving him hell?? o_O :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

(sorry Jody, I've been waiting for a good opportunity to make that joke...) ;)
@Glassman @ChuckMejia
Ok boys, do I need to go cut a switch, cause I will??!! :sneaky:

Buddy, I was raised about 10 miles north of Ft. Campbell, KY. I’ve been getting my balls busted about my name ever since I can remember. I’ve only lived up to the military meaning of my name once!:whistle: Oops! Did I say that out loud. :oops:

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
@Glassman @ChuckMejia
Ok boys, do I need to go cut a switch, cause I will??!! :sneaky:

Buddy, I was raised about 10 miles north of Ft. Campbell, KY. I’ve been getting my balls busted about my name ever since I can remember. I’ve only lived up to the military meaning of my name once!:whistle: Oops! Did I say that out loud. :oops:
I mean... you could always change it to Wagner.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
No I’m not being an ass at all. Seriously.

Taste is subjective when it comes to habanos sure, but construction has been great since I started them. I’ve ran into some vintage stuff that has been impossible to smoke.

I have a wide range of stuff in my coolers. Vintage, aged and fresh stuff. I can honesty say that anything 2013 and newer has been great to me. Haven’t had any construction issues that I can remember from this timeline. 2012 and older has been challenging at times, but not terrible.

I just hate seeing habanos get a bad rap about construction when really it’s not bad. So I guess I’ll be “obstinate” by claiming quality recently has been great. I just don’t think you’re experienced enough to be able to say such a thing.
I can get that. I'm just picky. If draw is tight I'll over heat it and it'll be crap.
But it's not a deal killer, the flavor is worth it, and there are good draw tools available now. They do tend to uneven burn more often, but no big deal either.

Dude, let people talk shit about them. The supply demand curve doesn't need to get worse! ;)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had some experiences with tight draws from CC's, but idk. my most recent purchase the draw has been amazing, course i did have my humidor Rh high(68%) and have since lowered it to 64%

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
In my experience, about 25-30% of NCs have a tighter draw then I would like. I encounter tight draws more often with CC's, perhaps as much as 50% of the time. I do prefer a loose draw though, so some of that may be my own personal preference. The tightest part is generally the cap and simply using a draw tool for a couple 1" plunges into the head can change the draw completely. That process takes about 30 seconds to fix (or less) and about half the cigars that require tinkering with the draw are fixed with just that simple step. I've only encountered a small handful of truly plugged cigars and most have been 99-01. I even managed to save a few of those with some draw tool work. I see the word plugged get tossed around quite a bit and I simply haven't experienced it, at least not with any kind of frequency.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
No, these were all ones I cut to smoke but weren't drawing well enough. So I just set them aside for the time being and grabbed something else...
Often a cigar opens up, draw wise, once its lit or just a bit into. I cant tell you how many cigars ive had through the years that drew differently then the pre draw. Just a thought.