What's new

Cheap humidor

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok yall I seem to have made a mild mistake but I want to fix it. I bought a small humidor off of letgo for $7 today. I look at it and it has cedar sides but a fiberboard bottom. I think it had some sort of cedar tray that didnt come with it. It seems to seal ok. My question is I have a cult box at home that has a slide out lid that should be big enough to line the bottom . Will that work? I just picked it up on the way to work today so i havent been able to season it and see if it holds. What yall think?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When it comes to humidors.....buy a good one. There are so many good Vendors out there to get a good one...$7 for a humidor just screams what P T Barnum said. You get what you pay for and for starting out like the brother suggested...Tupperador all the way. Use the cedar lining on the bottom...( it helps regulate RH ) and buy one that is about 2.5 gallon size ( RubberMaid ) as that can hold up to 125 corona sized cigars. I suggest KL as a RH source but Bovedas work well, too. Cheaply made wood humidors are just going to drive you crazy....it's probably made in China and instead of it taking care of your cigars it's going to keep you busy trying to maintain a good RH. A good friend of mine who hates wasting money bought several of them thinking it was a great deal so he bought 4 cheap humidors ( wood ) and he spent weeks trying to keep the RH stable...as of this date he's in a psych ward mumbling to the orderlies about relative humidity....hygros..cedar...Bovedas aren't working... it just breaks my heart!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you like the look of your cheap humidor then put it on your desk empty. If you value your cigars then get something proper to keep them in. Tupperware works great. The cheap humidor will never keep a consistent RH.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
If you like the look of your cheap humidor then put it on your desk empty. If you value your cigars then get something proper to keep them in. Tupperware works great. The cheap humidor will never keep a consistent RH.
Put the Tupperware inside the cheap humidor, problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
You can line the bottom of your humidor with cedar sheets. As long as it seals well and can hold humidity, you will be OK. As suggested above, you can always store the cigars in a tupperware container inside of the humidor.
I would run the test of a Boveda pack inside of the humidor with your cigars and see how quickly the Boveda goes bad. If it is reasonably quick(1 month), your humidor is leaking. I have three mass produced humidors and two of them seal and hold perfectly.

Really is a luck of the draw.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a cheapy wood desktop humi i keep my cigars in. Until this winter had no issues with two 65 boveda packs. I have since increased it to 4 to keep the rh. Pretty sure its just the dryness in our house with the furnace and shit going.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Put the Tupperware inside the cheap humidor, problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did this years ago because my wife hates that I have humidors all over the house....so I got a decorative thing I saw at a Department store...3 of them actually...the wife loves them because it goes with the decor...( big f'n whoop ) but I'm a hero because I can put my tupperadors inside and nobody is the wiser. Sometimes you gotta go along to get along.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of opinions on this topic because money is money. Personally, I do not care for cheap humidors made overseas by machines. They may look nice but they are crap, and by crap I mean there is no seal and over time it's just a pain to maintain cigars well.

My family has eight humidors. Six of them are made by Dixon https://coolerexp.com/best-cigar-humidors-review/
Quality humidors have better seals to maintain the RH. You don't need to maintain the cigars as much. In all our quality humidors they are refilled about once a month (maybe twice depending on if they are open often). They look better. They are heavy. They have a lifetime warranty (anything goes wrong we can send it back to the maker and it's fixed for free - anytime). Of course they cost more. However, cost is relative if you take into consideration the time/energy/cost of maintaining cigars more often or having cigars lost due to humidor issues. These humidors will be around for decades.

Cheap humidors work 100% fine, however typically they require more maintenance and can have build issues over time. We have two cheap machine made humidors and they require refilling every single week, the hinges squeak, etc. The seals are bad, the wood is very thin and overall it's just a cheap product. However, many people don't care or have an issue with maintaining a humidor each week.

Overall, the purchase of a quality humidor over a cheap humidor depends on the person. It's the same as asking a golfer why buy a set of irons for $800 when you can buy a cheaper set for $300.