What's new

Cheap long gun

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
A buddy at work asked me what I would recommend for his first long gun. Just to have fun with. I recommended a cheaper 12ga pump( Stevens, maverick the like) or a ruger 10/22. Did I miss anything or did I do good?

Oh and his budget was $250 $300

Last edited:

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Real answer is what does he want it for. Hom defense or bird/clay shooting = shotgun. Plinking cans = 22LR, if you can find ammo. That situation is still not resolved in much of the country.

9x19 AR would be fun.

BTW we purchased a Maverick shotgun for my middle boy. IMO a good shotgun for the $214 we paid.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
All depends on what he wants to do with it. 10/22 would be my suggestion if he just wants to learn, shoot, and plink with it. Ruger American for a bolt gun in a heavier caliber. Remington 870 or mossberg 500 pump gun depending on the intended purpose, although that wouldn't be my first choice.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've always been a big believer in a 22 for a first firearm. 10/22 is a solid choice, I have a Remington 597 (I think that's the series anyways) 22 that is fantastic and was in the neighborhood of $275.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Real answer is what does he want it for. Hom defense or bird/clay shooting = shotgun. Plinking cans = 22LR, if you can find ammo. That situation is still not resolved in much of the country.

9x19 AR would be fun.

BTW we purchased a Maverick shotgun for my middle boy. IMO a good shotgun for the $214 we paid.
my uncle had a lil 9x19 . It was the first rifle I shot after the 22 as a kid . I loved that rifle

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't have local gun shops in your area with good selection I'd recommend checking out sites like armslist or gunbroker. If you're comfortable doing online transactions there are always good deals to be had if you browse.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll jump in and say to plink definitely a .22 LR. Home defense/sporting clays - skeet, trap etc. Get a nice pump shotgun. I love my Remington 870. Got it for $250 on sale after rebates and taxes. Even maybe, that's a big maybe to look into the used ones as well if your friend is ok with that. Maybe might get a steal of a firearm and cheaper especially if the budget is a little tight.

My shotgun will hopefully be christened hunting next week.

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If you don't have local gun shops in your area with good selection I'd recommend checking out sites like armslist or gunbroker. If you're comfortable doing online transactions there are always good deals to be had if you browse.
This is a great suggestion. Definitely find a local FFL that you'll be happy/comfortable with using for transfers before buying online IMO though.

~ Dale
Georgia, USA