What's new

Checking Hygrometers

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
How often do you do it? I used to be pretty anal about it, but I realized today when I found mine under a stack of shelves that I hadn’t done it in ages...maybe a year, or more. I got so used to seeing a consistent reading with the Boveda packs that I quit caring exactly what it was and just trusted the product. And if they get a little crunchy and the humidity dips, that’s just fine with me. I’d rather store everything on the low side of 69% than above anyway.

I ask because I got a little lazy this time and didn’t feel like recharging the packs I had and just replaced all of them today. I also way overdo it on the number of them I keep so they don’t work as hard - I just put 6 my 48 qt cooler and 2 in my 150 ct desktop.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
when the battery dies in the hygro......I have about a dozen Accurites and all of them have been dead nutts on for 6 years. I test them once a year with a good hygro I bought years ago for a stupid price but it never wavers.....not even after 10 years so that is my barometer for my digital hygros.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two hygrometers in my humidor one on top shelf one on bottom shelf, I calibrate both with a boveda calibration pack. So long as they both give reasonable readings I dont worry. I keep new boxes on the bottom shelf(wont fit on the top shelf lol) and I have found that when a new box is in, the bottom shelf drops in humidity for a while. Makes sense, woods absorbing the moisture and the cigars who knows during transit.

Mr. Nice

Pretty nice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check both of my sensorpush hygrometers twice a year......Haven't had to adjust one yet after about a year and a half.
I have yet to recharge any Bovedas.....I am using a couple 320 grammers plus a smattering of other small ones that have come from different shops.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have found that by placing the "almost crunchy" Bovedas in a tightly sealed container with distilled water recharges them in a couple of days. I used to use Tupperware containers but have switched over to a couple of large gasketed clear Lexan? containers from Walmart. I pour about half an inch of distilled water into the bottom of the container and use some bent wire mesh to keep the humidity packs above the water. For faster recharge I set them in the sun. Some people will soak the Bovedas, some will mist them but I have enough in rotation I can just give them some time.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have found that by placing the "almost crunchy" Bovedas in a tightly sealed container with distilled water recharges them in a couple of days. I used to use Tupperware containers but have switched over to a couple of large gasketed clear Lexan? containers from Walmart. I pour about half an inch of distilled water into the bottom of the container and use some bent wire mesh to keep the humidity packs above the water. For faster recharge I set them in the sun. Some people will soak the Bovedas, some will mist them but I have enough in rotation I can just give them some time.
+1 on leaving them in the sun. They'll recharge in half the time.
I have half in the humi, half in the Tupperware charging. Change out as needed.
As far as calibration, just when the battery is dead....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw my boveda right in the distilled water for a few days.

I have “sensor push” in everything that holds cigars and can see all the humidity in all the lands from anywhere in the world :)

I put them in a 75% boveda calibration kit every once in a while. Always spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I just recharge with a 1 gallon ziplock bag, the boveda and a single paper towel soaked in distilled water. Always plenty to get a boveda going again.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I think someone here made a boveda station charger at some point with materials he picked up locally in his neck of the woods. And for the life of me, I don't remember who did it. I'm going back into hiding in my corner now.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I’m using 320g in my wino and haven’t had any long enough to need to recharge, but I picked up this bun steamer to use when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk