What's new

Chicago peeps ... LFD Up/Down Cigar event Tuesday, July 28

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, as the Chicago guys who met me last week at @jolietfire meetup, I don't know a lot about cigar brands. I know nothing about La Flor Dominicana at all, but for $40 for four LFD cigars, free grilled polish sausage and hot dogs, free Goose Island Beer and spirit sampling from FEW Sprirts, Bunnahabhain Scotch and Maracame Tequila, I figure, what the heck-- how bad could it be?

Details here:
http://www.updowncigar.com/index.cfm?fa=cat.detail&sction=12&subsection=86

What's the scoop on La Flor Dominicana? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but might sign up today. Anyone else interested?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It's my second favorite line after Fuente. Their Ligero and Double Ligero can kick you in the nutsack if you're not careful but a lot of flavor. That sounds like a helluva great event. Unfortunately, I can't make it. So, go for it!

Sorry I missed Justin's event - it killed me that I wasn't there.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think kerosene lounge is joining me. I just registered. BTW, I've never had a Ghurka, are they as bad as folks think, or is it a result of a bad cigar they did in the past or something. They get so much teasing I'm very curious.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I think kerosene lounge is joining me. I just registered. BTW, I've never had a Ghurka, are they as bad as folks think, or is it a result of a bad cigar they did in the past or something. They get so much teasing I'm very curious.
Gurkhas are.... where to start?

Generally, they're not bad at all. Their biggest strength as a company (and, consequently, their biggest liability in terms of reputation) is their marketing. The majority of their cigars are, in most people's eyes, not bad but not great. Fairly mediocre, really. But they hype the shit out of themselves and, in the past, they've come up with some crazy claims such as having the world's most expensive cigar - the Black Dragon at just over $1100 per stick. But don't worry, you can get a 5 pack of them from Thompson's for $49.95 (j/k)

They have a large lineup and they're widely available on the discount sites like Thompson's and Cigars International. They have a range of sticks from cheap yard-gars to higher end stuff that is actually quite tasty. But because of the plethora of low-end stuff so easily available and their constant "sale" of them, they're often seen as a marketing company.

On the other hand, it sure as hell seems to work!

Just my opinion, of course. :)