What's new

Choosing the right cigar

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There were two days last week that spelled out perfectly how important it is to choose a cigar that fits my mood or the type day I've had. I came home from work on Tues beaten down. I had a very ruff day mentally and physically and knew I wanted a cigar. I chose a Partagas SD4 and immediately upon lighting, knew I had made a bad choice. It never did feel or taste right in relation to the day I'd had. Probably too strong and too much flavor that just didn't connect. I had to lay the cigar down being just 1/2 done because I honestly felt like I would be sick. Fast forward to Wed, I had the exact type of day I'd had on Tues all over again. Once again I knew I wanted a cigar, but was hesitant because of the way it had made me feel 24 hrs prior. This time I went with a Cohiba Siglo II. Totally different ball of wax altogether. It was the perfect cigar for the way I was feeling. I wanted mellow, not to be outside for a long time, and I came away feeling refreshed and renewed. So, I will be paying alot more attention from now on to the days events and my mood when choosing my next cigar. :noemotion

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitely feel ya there. For me it's almost always a time-of-day thing. If I smoke in the morning it has to be something like and mild, something that can go with coffee or water. In the afternoon it's a tossup, and in the evening it's almost always something strong - especially if I've eaten.

On a similar note, it always surprises me when guys can drybox cigars, or plan out what they're going to smoke for the week. For me when I want to smoke a cigar I have to decide right then and there what it is I'll be smoking.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I know exactly what you're talking about. Whenever I'm going somewhere and I'm gonna smoke a cigar, I always take at least 3-5 because I'll never know what I'll be in the mood for, and if you're not in the right mood for a particular cigar it sucks.

TYLER

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i jsut open the humi and browse till i find something that trips my trigger. i dont know how many times ive come home wanting a particular smoke only to light up and not enjoy it. so i now i just tell myself im gonna have a "cigar". and leave it at that till i have the time to smoke one.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never found I did not enjoy a cigar because of a particular mood I had. I do, however, have times when I only want a cigar of a particular line. I remember once when nothing else but H. Upmanns would do. No matter what else I had in reach I decided forgo the cigar in question and simply lit up a Magnum 46 for the rest of the week.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you're talking about. Whenever I'm going somewhere and I'm gonna smoke a cigar, I always take at least 3-5 because I'll never know what I'll be in the mood for, and if you're not in the right mood for a particular cigar it sucks.

TYLER
I do this very same thing... you just never know.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I always "browse" my humi for something that fits my mood.

That's also the reason I bought a 15-count travel humi; it's far more than I need, but it allows me to carry lots of choices to better match whatever mood I will be in when it's time to smoke.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Yeppers, gotta take a look and see what trips my trigger...don't always end up with the one I had in mind originally.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There were two days last week that spelled out perfectly how important it is to choose a cigar that fits my mood or the type day I've had. I came home from work on Tues beaten down. I had a very ruff day mentally and physically and knew I wanted a cigar. I chose a Partagas SD4 and immediately upon lighting, knew I had made a bad choice. It never did feel or taste right in relation to the day I'd had. Probably too strong and too much flavor that just didn't connect. I had to lay the cigar down being just 1/2 done because I honestly felt like I would be sick. Fast forward to Wed, I had the exact type of day I'd had on Tues all over again. Once again I knew I wanted a cigar, but was hesitant because of the way it had made me feel 24 hrs prior. This time I went with a Cohiba Siglo II. Totally different ball of wax altogether. It was the perfect cigar for the way I was feeling. I wanted mellow, not to be outside for a long time, and I came away feeling refreshed and renewed. So, I will be paying alot more attention from now on to the days events and my mood when choosing my next cigar. :noemotion
Been there, done that! About a month ago had the same situation. Reached for a stick. PLUGGED!!:disappoin Went to a different brand and grabbed one. Another plugged one!!!:angeryell I just gave up at that point. Looking back, at least I didn't wreck a good day with two bad cigars back-to-back! Live and learn I guess!:smokingbo