What's new

Cigar Aficionado good mag?

What is your deal with Cigar Aficionado?

• I subscribe and love it!

Votes: 56 19.6%
  • I subscribe and read the articles only

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • I subscribe and read reviews only

Votes: 30 10.5%
  • Don't subscribe, buy news stand instead

Votes: 49 17.2%
  • Don't subscribe, don't read

Votes: 127 44.6%

• Total voters

muhren

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anyone's thoughts...thought I'd poll.

I try to get into the articles but they're not for me. The writing doesn't keep me interested. I just end up flipping to the ratings to see if I currently have any of their high rated sticks. I normally don't...guess I have different tastes!

I hit puff.com for their ratings Vs Aficionado nowadays. It's an 'everyman's' review site...I've left a few myself!

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else is subscribed to it and what they think.

M

muhren

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just an FYI follow-up:

One thought on puff.com though (In case you haven't visited their ratings yet) some fine cigars get knocked WAY down because value is part of the equation used AND everyone has a different value / price point they feel is 'good' for a cigar.

So, beware that some expensive sticks are scored high in everything but value and their overall score goes way down because of it. Just make sure to check why it scored so low.

M

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm sure there are guys like me that don't subscribe but do check it out. A lot of B&Ms get a few issues in each time along with other cigar rags. I read them there while I'm working or hanging out.

I mostly like to check out the reviews to see what they're smoking, I don't care so much about their ratings. Other magazines actually have articles about cigars and tobacco which is rarely seen in CA.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I purchase it rarely to read reviews and to see if I'm smoking what others are smoking. Once in a while there is a good article. But I let my palate do my reviewing as to cigars.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I read it, enjoy the articles, reviews, and the pic. It is like any other Mag. take the info use if u like.....

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I'll glance the new issue in about 4 minutes: fan through the 30+ pages of adds, speed-read the one article that is somewhat interesting, scope the reviews then place it back in the rack.

I checked 'don't subscribe, don't read' cause there are better cigar mags out there for me.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There is always at least one article of interest, do not really focus much on the reviews as much as the old format, for the low subscription price it is not all that bad, I feel worth having around.

Wknd

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
It's a love/hate for me... some are better than others and it doesn't come often enough. I think the saving grace is Cigar Insider, but it seems very few have it.

James Suckling's Cigar Diary/Blog at the end of the magazine is the best article time in and time out...

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Smoke Magazine and Cigar Press....those are my two choices, never have been a fan of C.A.

Edit: I forgot about ECCJ, it's just so darn hard to found though!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm sure there are guys like me that don't subscribe but do check it out. A lot of B&Ms get a few issues in each time along with other cigar rags. I read them there while I'm working or hanging out.

I mostly like to check out the reviews to see what they're smoking, I don't care so much about their ratings. Other magazines actually have articles about cigars and tobacco which is rarely seen in CA.
Amen. If I see one more article on the "Shotmaker" I am going to puke! Marvin Shankin is way too full of himself! Newsflash Marvin, we don't give a shit about your recent knee surgery and how it effected your golf game with Tiger Woods.......

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Are people on the Interwebs actually taking PUFF.com seriously nowadays?

Cripes, that's almost enough to make me give up cigars entirely and find a new hobby! LMAO!! :thinkidea

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I read it regularly at the B&M. I find that while there are many reviews that I don't agree with smokes reviews much more as each reviewer has very different preferances on the cigars. I would like smoke more if they told you who the reviewers were so you could tell which ones have your tastes. I just come here for reviews as I know who has tastes similar to my own.

Posted via Mobile Device