What's new

Cigar aging

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Setting on the back deck this evening and a thought came to mind.
Are there cigars out there that will just not get better with age?
It does seem that many of the modern boutique blends, are carefully blended with aged tobacco, specifically for the flavor profile they will have initially. So if they mellow as they age, I suppose they could lose some of what makes them special to some peoples preferences.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
This is valuable information for a new guy...dont want something in the humidor taking up space...hahahaha
If you're relatively new to cigars, it's worth trying a few of them - heck, I enjoyed most that I tried when I was new. But when I came back to a few of them maybe a year or 2 later to make room in my humi, I just didn't enjoy them nearly as much, if at all. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with, I'd become accustomed to better smokes from hanging out around here. Pretty sure some of them actually did get worse though, lol

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you're relatively new to cigars, it's worth trying a few of them - heck, I enjoyed most that I tried when I was new. But when I came back to a few of them maybe a year or 2 later to make room in my humi, I just didn't enjoy them nearly as much, if at all. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with, I'd become accustomed to better smokes from hanging out around here. Pretty sure some of them actually did get worse though, lol
I was just having fun with your comment. I've been trying all the smokes I can. The some what problem to that is the local shop doesnt carry it all and paying shipping on a single is crazy..lol and some don't come as a single and I'd hate to buy a box just to find out I don't like them.
I have found a few that I have really enjoyed heck I've even stepped up and bought a few boxes. (Gotta stay off the auctions site)
I figure if my taste change I can use them ads gifts or even trades. Plus it allows me to put a few in the humidor to age and taste the difference.
I really enjoy reading all the threads and seeing what to try next...

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I personally can't age a damn thing, because I smoke cigars like it's my job or something...:rolleyes: But yeah, it helps most sticks IMMENSELY in my experience. Opus X is the first one that comes to mind. They age incredibly well; I've had several courtesy of Eran @EO80 and Steve @Old Smokey that almost brought me to tears they were so complex...insane flavor notes and transitions! :eek: But right off the truck -- to my palate at least -- they aren't half as tasty. YMMV. -jason

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
depends what you mean by "better".
depends on how old the cigar is when you get it.
depends on the cigar.
If I send you a 1995 La Gloria it will not get better, as it is on the decline.
still good,but going away.
if I send you a 2001 La Gloria, it is still improving,but will start to decline soon.
If I send you a 2014 La Gloria, it needs a good while still to peak.
Taste is subjective, you may prefer a young cigar until you taste a mature one.
I have some 2001 Camacho corojo that would bring you to your knees in the first 5 years, now they are well balanced and show nuances you could not taste when they were young.
extraordinary cigars, wish I had a thousand.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
A couple years ago the Warped Unicos were at their peak. To my taste they have started to deminish. About 4 years ago I had close to 4 boxes of Olivia Master Blends. I made it through 30 or 40 before they started tasting like crap (to me). So in my experience NC's can deminish but I haven't been smoking CC's long enough to find any that that have lost their peak

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem that many of the modern boutique blends, are carefully blended with aged tobacco, specifically for the flavor profile they will have initially. So if they mellow as they age, I suppose they could lose some of what makes them special to some peoples preferences.
Good point.

I tend to avoid buying large volumes of any one type of NCs that come well-aged already as I fear they'll be muted by the time I'll get to them