What's new

Cigar Auctions

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Anyone here do cigar auctions? Curious about how it is done, any suggestions? I suspect waiting until it is near the end and bidding is a strategy. but what site do you consider better and so on.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I am sure a bunch of have used those sites previously, haven't been on them in a long time, but you can good deals. For one of the sites I used the auction history tracker to get an idea of what the given cigar I wanted sold for then I would just bid a MAX bid on a bunch. If i got outbid (which was Most of the time) then ohh well. Sometimes I got lucky and got a few boxes for absolute steals.

Other people probably still shop at these places so they probably won't be so revealing on their strategies. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cigarauctioneer.com quite often. It is ran by Famous and you can get some sweet deals. I've won boxes, fivers, cutters, lighters, and a humidor for around half the price if not less than what other sites charge. You can set up your account so that all your winnings pile up each week and ship for one price instead of paying per shipment. They have a pretty good selection depending on what you are looking for and availability changes constantly. You can follow different auctions and products so that you can see when they come up for auction and when the auction ends, etc. They also run English and Dutch auctions so that is nice too. I haven't used cbid or any of the other auction sites but cigarauctioneer.com has enough variety to keep me happy.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I buy almost exclusively from auctions. Even though they have raised the starting bids, Cigarauctioneer.com is still my favorite site, as there is far less competition, and bidders there for the most part aren't willing to pay as much as those on Cbid. For regular auctions (English) get you bid in as soon a possible, setting auto bid to the highest you are willing to pay. This is especially true for Cbid, where your bids should be placed the second a lot opens. Be careful when bidding on Yankee (Dutch) auctions, as there is no auto bid, so the bid you make will be what you pay if you win.

Also be willing to lose auctions. If it goes above what you want to pay, let it go. If you get into a bidding war, you'll usually pay too much.

Last edited:

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good advice from Argus. You need to get your CigarBids in as soon as the lots open -- usually at midnight Eastern time, 9 pm here on the West Coast. Being early at Auctioneer is not as vital, as that site does not have as much traffic.
Check prices at cigar.com, Famous, CI so you are not overbidding.
Some of the best deals are at SPECIALS on left side of cBid home page. They'll throw a bunch of boxes in there, some times as many as 250.
You can find deals at Free Fall. If you run the Chrome browser, get the Free Fall plug-in that shows lowest bid on Free Fall lots only:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cigarbid-free-fall-plugin/haggdgmfhabhnmfmcmodogfmehljdoco?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog
This app does same thing, plus a historical tracker of pricing:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cigar-price-history-and-f/hjbommnhodlfagkpepengkjokfpanpjj?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog
Do not get into a bidding war. The same lots, the same stuff will appear on that same site soon. Patience - it's not like you are going to run out of cigars.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
@btubes18 I was thinking the same thing, this auctioneering is quite addictive, I have been avoiding CAS, but this makes that more difficult, especially when you find sticks that you have wanted for a long time and could not find, and bam here they are!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hope I'm doing the right thing picking up 5 packs on the auction. New to the game and trying to fill a couple of coolidors so I can let the smokes rest for a couple of months. I spent the last week really involved but I read the reviews, shopped the offerings and knew the price I was willing to pay. I feel like I've gotten some pretty good deals and I'm on the way to a good variety of rested cigars. My shipping date is on a Tuesday so Monday night I put the bid sign down and walk away for a couple of months. Maybe look at the sales offered by the non-auction sites to round out the lost bids, a 5 pack here and a 5 pack there.

Was this a good strategy or am I just kidding myself, in the words of William Dafoe "I got a fever and the only prescription is More Cow Bells"?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I hope I'm doing the right thing picking up 5 packs on the auction. New to the game and trying to fill a couple of coolidors so I can let the smokes rest for a couple of months. I spent the last week really involved but I read the reviews, shopped the offerings and knew the price I was willing to pay. I feel like I've gotten some pretty good deals and I'm on the way to a good variety of rested cigars. My shipping date is on a Tuesday so Monday night I put the bid sign down and walk away for a couple of months. Maybe look at the sales offered by the non-auction sites to round out the lost bids, a 5 pack here and a 5 pack there.

Was this a good strategy or am I just kidding myself, in the words of William Dafoe "I got a fever and the only prescription is More Cow Bells"?
That's your best bet. Don't commit to boxes yet unless you're absolutely sure you enjoy that specific smoke. Your palate might change over time. Mine definitely did and my wallet thinned out real fast once I came here and was introduced to new to me cigar lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well, I think I have lost my mind! I now have 1 box of Eastern Standard, 1 box of Fuente Don Carlos Presidente, 10pack of Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado and 2 5packs La Aurora Preferidos Maduro. These are on my favorites list, so I shouldn't NEED any more for the rest of the year! Now I need to ban myself from auctions for awhile! That was too easy, and good prices also! Oh, I may need a new cooler!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My strategy is the same as most others -- decide the most I'm willing to pay for something and use that as my highest bid. I'm sure if I tried harder I could get better deals but I don't want to put that much effort into it. So how do I decide my highest bid? I start with the real retail (that is, what I could buy it for right now on a non auction site) and subtract 20% because I can almost always find a 20% coupon or close to it. Next I factor in how good of a deal I want which is directly related to how bad I want it. If I really, really want it I'll just buy it outright and skip the auctions. If I just really want it I might stop at the retail-20%. Anything that's not either a 'really really" or "really" want I'll take off another 10% to 20%.

Of course it goes without saying that you should never bid on more things than you are able to pay assuming you won't win some because as soon as you do you will win everything.

Like others on this site my favorite is @Cigar Auctioneer -- I think their prices are better and the layout of the site is nicer, although I did have one bad experience with them that has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Was beginning to wonder about my order, I hadn't heard anything, so I decided to contact customer service. I discovered that they called last week to verify and was waiting for my reply. I found out that my wife intercepted the call and didn't tell me until Saturday. I contacted them this morning to verify information and all is good and should receive package Friday. Only I'll be out of town and will have my neighbor intercept them until I return home.