What's new

cigar band cigar box mod

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Mods feel free to move this thread if its not at the proper location, which is likely as I have no clue where to put it. Thanks.

As some of you know, I have recently upgraded my storage to a wino. In the process of trying to add more spanish cedar, I am on a quest similar to @jmartins to get empty wooden cigar boxes, which seems to be a hard task in the northern country of Canadia. Soooo when I get a box that's partially cedar, am I to junk it? NO!

I got my hand on an empty box of Calixo Lopez. Made in Philipines, those aren't my personal favorites, to say the least. But, the box is 3/4 made of cedar, with only the top made of massonite and fully covered by (ugly) sticker - most boxes are either full wood, or full whatever (sometimes cardboard) and covered by stickers. This is an in-between. The inside showed cedar, so I figured it would be great for added storage.
Problem is : it looks bad. Sorry I didn't take a pic, but here's one from the interwebs:

It clashes with the full wood boxes and isn't appealing to my doggy eyes.

I removed (quite easily I may add) the stickers from the sides and back, leaving only the top and inside, which also acts as a hinge. Added vinyl on the rear side as to keep the "hinge" solid.

Then, I started to use those cigar bands I have kept. There's memories in all those bands! Glued them on the top, sideways, in a somewhat disorganized manner:

once done, I added a good layer of varnish.
I'll let it sit for a day or two to ensure no smell come off the glue or varnish, re-season it, and put it in my wino.

Yes, half these bands were from trades, purchases or bombs with BOTLs here. You might recognize some... :)

What do you think? Waste of completely useful bands? Nice art?
I figured this could give ideas to fellow brothers. Share your toughts or ideas :)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I wouldn't say it was a waste of bands as I just throw mine away but it seems like a waste of time. However, if you have the time and the energy, I think it looks better than what you had.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0