What's new

Cigar band side table

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
"This is an older post from my previous forum that I wanted to share with you guys since I had a lot of fun doing it and it was a great idea on what to do with all those bands. If the pictures don't work, I'll try to edit the post. Hope you enjoy."

Well, this all started off with me wanting to refinish the top of my bar in my basement. Not having much experience, I decided to start on an old table that was left by the previous homeowner. This table was quite ugly, and I originally put it in our garage sale for $5 and it remained unsold. I then moved it into the garage and it served as a convenient place to store cutters, misc. stuff, and a nice spot to place a drink. The top was pretty much destroyed by myself for placing sweating glasses on it, and the veneer cracked and split.

Total time: about 4-5 hours
Products used:
Palm sander
painters tape
Matte Mod podge (Glue)
about 100 cigar labels
Pair of scissors
Rust Oleum Painters touch Satin Dark Walnut spray paint
Minwax clear gloss Polyurethane
Wooster Pro Paintbrush
Small cheap artist brush
One new knob

I never thought this would turn into anything nice, so unfortunately, I did not take any pictures until the top was already done. I also originally did not plan on painting the table, so I kinda worked backwards and painted after competing the top.

To give you an idea on what the table looked like before:

The ugly drawer with the taped on paper lifting:

I started off sanding the top down smooth as best as I could. After that was done, I started applying the labels making a boarder around the top of the table. I used the artist brush to apply the mod podge glue to each label. Amazingly, I applied all of the labels straight through and it took about 3.5 hours. After that was completed, I used blue painters tape around the areas that did not have any labels. This was to prep for the polyurethane.

Throughout the next week, I applied 10 coats of the minwax using a wooster pro brush. I originally wanted to have it where you could not feel the bands, but after 10 coats, that was not happening. I had seen other products that would accomplish this, but they are a bit pricy (remember, I'm hoping to do my bar top and now I have a ton of poly left over for that job.

When I was finally satisfied with the top, I used the blue painters tape around the edge of the table and also used some newspaper so that I would not get any paint on the top. I spent one day out in the garage using the spray paint to finish off the table.

After it finally dried it was time to unveil the final result:

10 coats sure adds some shine:

The top (had to turn off the flash to reduce the glare:

As I side note, I would advise not to use thin paper labels. In the top picture, you can see how the Liga Privada band in the top right corner soaked in some of the poly and discolored the label.

Some tools of the trade:

Next up is the bar top which I will probably hold off until winter time. I'm thinking I may just do a boarder of sports cards as opposed to cigar labels. I never realized how much labels it would take just to do this table. I guess its a good excuse to replenish my supply of cigars. Hope you enjoyed.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
not to thread jack, but here's a pic of my table I did. Enough room for a big ass ashtray and a coffee cup. I built it out of solid 1"X1" oak and 1/2" ply and used a Kreg jig to assemble. She's a solid unit. Glued the bands on and then poured two part resin over both, IIRC it was called Envirotex. I know what you mean on the Liga bands.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425349517.676203.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425349538.457958.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425349963.361064.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to thread jack, but here's a pic of my table I did. Enough room for a big ass ashtray and a coffee cup. I built it out of solid 1"X1" oak and 1/2" ply and used a Kreg jig to assemble. She's a solid unit. Glued the bands on and then poured two part epoxy over both, IIRC it was called Envirotex. I know what you mean on the Liga bands.
View attachment 59723
Clearly I should have been saving my bands :).

What's with the ammo laying about lol??

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
:wtf:
not to thread jack, but here's a pic of my table I did. Enough room for a big ass ashtray and a coffee cup. I built it out of solid 1"X1" oak and 1/2" ply and used a Kreg jig to assemble. She's a solid unit. Glued the bands on and then poured two part epoxy over both, IIRC it was called Envirotex. I know what you mean on the Liga bands.
View attachment 59721
View attachment 59722
View attachment 59723
Jacking me with Hugh Jackman? :wtf: It's all good man, that is an awesome table, I'm impressed.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jacked with Jack....

Man you guys inspire me! Maybe in the new house! I know of a counter top in the brew room that is in need of a GREAT band design!

Cheers
Jay