What's new

Cigar "Bloom"?...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Sure can, I just hope it is not mold.

Keep in mind cello is not a plastic. It keeps the cigar safer cause people like to handle them. But unlike plastic, the cello lets them breath and transfers oxygen and humidity just at a slower rate then when naked.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure. It seems to happen especially frequently if there is a cedar wrap on the cigar, between the cello and the plume.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some posted pics on Cbid, of sticks from the same box, that were stored on and off.

It appeared the on sticks had a more intense plume to it. If anybody want to see it, its called on and off. There is a mold test going on as well.

J

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cigars are all storesd in one of 3 Humidors here. The Bahia Trinidads are Un Celo'd and int he 3 Drawer at (Near 70 Deg) and with 68% Herf beads. All the humi's have Herf-Beads here. And if it was Mold, it smoked WELL!... The Cigars have been in MY possesion for about 10 Months, but the Box is one of the last that came from Costa Rica, so it's been stored in shop for some time also. The origanal box was even leaking what looked like a bit of SAP on the bottom, so it was a Lost & Found I think...
Jeff
(Do Mold Mushrooms Smoke?.)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It Was ALL at the Foot, to about 1/2 Way. But it did look (More Intense) near or on the Veins.. This may ALL sound dumb, but I'd never had a Cigar Long enough to even think of this. But the Box I got was the old Costa Rican's so It might have been sitting a while anyway. I had smoked 3-4 of these prior and noticed a Plugged Smoke or VERY hard to draw, this one was GREAT, and the taste was very nice. The others were a bit pungent I'd say (For lack of better Type)..

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Without seeing pictures, based on what you describe, sounds like mold. If it was on there for only a short period of time, it can be brushed off and still not affect the flavor. Bloom or plume usually spreads evenly over the entire cigar. Mold usually starts out isolated and spreads out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did I Smoke "Penicillin".... Looked like Crystals not "What I'd Call Mold" but This is why I saked.. I'll look through the remainder, and If I see more I'll take a GOOD CLOSE UP and post it or a link or something!.. But it did seem to be at one end...Jeff

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding of bloom it will probably be a light crystaline grey/white powder coating most of the cigar exposed to air (So not whats resting on the cedar), not just certain spots on it.

Certain spots of white fluff or other non-crystaline looking growths will probably be mold. It'll also look more "3D" than ploom/bloom will, and probably have spots of green, blue, and yellow.

Check your humidity and if you perhaps have "hot-spots" of moisture getting trapped in areas of the humidor, which could cause mold when the hygrometer reads normal. Good airflow and not overfilling the humidor will allow a evening of the humidity, and that will help with keeping random mold from popping up.