What's new

Cigar Collectors

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got home from church today and lit up a stick and then was cruising BOTL and was wondering after reading several posts
Are there folks here that collect cigars and don't necessarily smoke them that often???
They just like the history and the quality of hand made cigars???
Being new to the leaf I spend more time reading here then posting

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I find that the older I get, the fewer cigars I seem to smoke. I have dropped from 1 a week to 1 a month over the last 2-3 years. But I also stopped buying about 3 years ago and I have more than I will ever smoke. I enjoy it when I smoke a cigar, but it seems I just don't feel like smoking as often as I once did.
I don't see myself as a collector, I just got carried away buying cigars for a while and did buy several boxes to intentionally age.
My middle son (35) enjoys cigars on occasion and he is starting referring to my cigars as his cigars and says one day he will take me fishing. Tie a cinder block to my lap while I sit in a wheel chair and send me down the boat ramp into the lake. He is such a good boy! LMAO I knew I should have beat his ass more often when he was younger. He is 5'10" and 225# now and works out at least 4 days a week, so I missed that opportunity.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
For the first few years that I was in this hobby I went through a phase where I “collected” way more than I was smoking. I was chasing a lot of the limited edition stuff and looking for deals on C-bid which lead to a rather large collection. Over the past couple years I have come to my senses though and decided that hoarding is not in my best interest. Since then the only purchases I have made have been either cigars I really enjoy or CC’s that I am aging, all of which are intended to be consumed either now or at some point in the future.

Most of the cigars that I collected previously have either been smoked or donated to organizations like cigars for warriors. I do still have a handful of “rare” cigars on hand though that I intend to sell in the near future.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have gone back and forth over the years. I have more cigars than I'll probably smoke and I do keep buying more. I tend to smoke a few times a month now versus 3-4 a week before. But it also comes and goes based on the weather, work, family priorities, etc. So I keep enough old favorites on hand that will be ready at that time as well as any new things I want to try. So I guess I am more of a collector right now since my influx of cigars is greater than the amount that I smoke technically.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting,I smoke about every week or every two weeks.
And it really depends on my mood and other external factors. It's a interesting hobby and so far I am enjoying it.
It would be fun to have other folks to enjoy it with,its a real social activitie
Cigars for warriors sounds like a great way to spend cigar money
I just noticed some posts where guys have real old collectible cigars and don't smoke them ever or no longer smoke at all.
They never say that but that's the impression I get

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I smoke a lot less in winter/autumn, sometimes one cigar a month sometimes less. During this time I tend to accumulate cigars and kind of become inactive. During spring and summer I wake up and start smoking one or two a week, enjoying my more aged stash. I do seem to buy more then I smoke now, but the intent is more to age then to collect.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke a lot less in winter/autumn, sometimes one cigar a month sometimes less. During this time I tend to accumulate cigars and kind of become inactive. During spring and summer I wake up and start smoking one or two a week, enjoying my more aged stash. I do seem to buy more then I smoke now, but the intent is more to age then to collect.
This makes sense!!!!!!!
This will be the first spring/summer that I have been indulging in cigars so my consumption will be " to be determined " this year.
It's to dam cold to spend a " Churchill's" amount of time outside.
I re read my original post and when I think about it I buy more cigars thenI smoke currently

I buy 'em to smoke (and age)...I just tend to buy a lot more than I smoke, and I probably smoke at least 10-12 a week. But I do have friends who buy much more and smoke much less than I do.

I also buy em to smoke em myself I haven't started to age any yet but there's no doubt I will start sometime soon.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was never a guy to buy more than 5 at a time when I first started. I took a rather long hiatus from smoking anything and I now have a well aged selection. My regret is that I didn't by more multiples/boxes. I just couldn't afford it then. I am now in a better position in life and feel that I can have a greater quantity of quality smokes I guess you could consider me a collector but now I am restarting out like a noob.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never a guy to buy more than 5 at a time when I first started. I took a rather long hiatus from smoking anything and I now have a well aged selection. My regret is that I didn't by more multiples/boxes. I just couldn't afford it then. I am now in a better position in life and feel that I can have a greater quantity of quality smokes I guess you could consider me a collector but now I am restarting out like a noob.

For now I only buy 5ers also but I agree that there are some boxes I would like to buy just for the reasons you stated but
With limited resources at this time that will have to wait
I can see buying some of the special edition stuff when it comes available and let them age!!!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I started out buy 2 of the same cigar and if I REALLY liked them after smoking those 2, I would buy a 5'er. If it was just ok, I didn't buy more. My objective was to smoke a large variety and see what I liked best. I slowly became more confident in what I liked and when I would find a good deal on a box I would buy one, if I could afford it. But mostly stuck with buying 5'ers. After 7 yrs I have a nice selection of cigars I prefer and about 4-5 boxes of aged ones (4 years or so). If your patient and take your time you will end up a few years down the road with a cigar collection you really enjoy.

A common Noobie mistake is buying a bunch of 5'ers or cheap boxes early on and end up down the road with a bunch of cigars they don't want to smoke.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out buy 2 of the same cigar and if I REALLY liked them after smoking those 2, I would buy a 5'er. If it was just ok, I didn't buy more. My objective was to smoke a large variety and see what I liked best. I slowly became more confident in what I liked and when I would find a good deal on a box I would buy one, if I could afford it. But mostly stuck with buying 5'ers. After 7 yrs I have a nice selection of cigars I prefer and about 4-5 boxes of aged ones (4 years or so). If your patient and take your time you will end up a few years down the road with a cigar collection you really enjoy.

A common Noobie mistake is buying a bunch of 5'ers or cheap boxes early on and end up down the road with a bunch of cigars they don't want to smoke.

@Old Smokey that's good advice I bought a couple of 5'ers when I first started ....I think I have 10 dog rockets now!!
I have been buying sample packs and buying 5'ers of the ones I like,but buying two makes more sense your tast can change and it gives the cigar a chance to shine or not.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cigar:
If I do not stop buying,I will need to add a room onto the house.:arghh::arghh:
I have buying like a fiend for the last 5 years.:vamp:
currently waiting on 10 boxes.:wideyed:
not including the one that landed today.:facepalm:
Okay @Nacho Daddy this summer I want to see photos of your new humidor addition and Bovida packs the size of garbage bags :cigar:

Seriously is humidifcation for a large collection a real headache?? Or as simple as large coolers and Bovidas.
My little humidor is a PITA sometimes

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I once smoked 10-12 sticks per week. Chased the HTF, built an substantial inventory, gave away tons, traded, etc....now, I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a stick (probably 2018). Reason, my 10yr old Son gives me shit....Thanks ObamaCare!

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I’ve been buying more than I smoke rebuilding my stash over the last year or so but have reached a happy place where I’m buying 90% with the intent to age. The stock I’ve built up will keep me smoking happy while my newer purchases get a chance to get right. I’ve got enough to reach for that I’m not tempted to break into the aging cooler.