What's new

Cigar Grades: An Idea I Have

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of you have seen my online Cigar Humidor and Journal, and have naturally concluded that I might be a little OCD on my love for researching, cataloging, and journaling my cigar habits.
An idea has popped into my head, and would like to hear some comments or suggestions that would help me refine said idea.

I was thinking how I might go about GRADING cigars. So far, this is my thoughts:
  • Grade I - Machine-Made, Mass-Produced cigars (White Owl, Dutch Masters, etc.)
  • Grade II - Hand-Made, Poor Quality cigars. Encompasses short-filler or mixed-filler cigars manufactured with the intention of economically using leftover materials, and thus maximizing profits. Cigars which are unbanded, using lesser quality materials, of which the original cigar manufacturer does not want to be associated with. Cigars made with Unknown materials.
  • Grade III - Hand-Made, Medium Quality cigars. Manufactured to be of a consistent quality; usually manufactured as a private label for a specific retailer. These are not intended to be considered Premium cigars, but instead manufactured to be good, economical cigars.
  • Grade IV - Hand-Made, Good Quality Cigars. These grade of cigars are manufactured with the intention of producing a good quality cigar. These are usually legacy-brand cigars who have developed a long and trusted reputation. It is characteristic for many of these brands to be bought-up by large manufacturers (Partagas, Punch, Macanudo, etc.) who can maintain the quality, and yet maximize profits.
  • Grade V - Hand-Made, Premium-Quality Cigars. Cigars which are manufactured with the intention of being the highest quality possible. Usually produced by boutique manufacturers or family-run businesses. These are the cigars usually found on award-winning lists, because the manufacturers have placed quality above profits.
  • Grade VI - Super-Premium, Hard to Find/ Obtain Cigars. This is a catch-all grade where super-premium and/or super-sought-after cigars would be classified. These would NOT be the cigars that would fall under a normal "daily" smoke.
    Examples:

Last edited:

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tag cigars with a "keep in stock?" rating based on my enjoyment of the cigar and it's perceived value
You have inspired me. Have just added a column to my journal labeled, "Keeper" and have given each listing a grade (A+ through F).
A = Most definitely a Keeper, worthy of investing in a box of them.
B = Most likely a Keeper, or at least have a stash/ supply of them in the humidor.
C = Jury is still out, but am willing to try them again.
D = Most likely not a Keeper, but would smoke them again if offered and/or nothing else is around.
F = DOG ROCKET!!!! Don't waste your money. These get thrown out if room is needed in the humidor!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now when you see something on sale you can take a quick look and decide if you should jump or not! If you are using an Excel spreadsheet you can enter a couple of operations that look at the quantity of the cigar remaining in stock, the rating and provides a "reorder" formatted in red. When I catch a sale I look at my spreadsheet and if I've smoked the cigar before, my quantity in stock is less then 2 and I enjoyed the cigar I see a red "reorder" by the cigar name

If you are really OCD you can write an operation that tells you if the cigar is ready to smoke. I set a rest time (3 months, 4 months, 18 months whatever). An operation looks at the date I put the cigar in my humidor adds the rest time and compares it to today's date. If the cigar has rested the amount of time I have assigned it displays "Ready" If I smoke one and it's not ready I can increase the rest time for the remaining cigars.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I always liked the Stogie Geeks' rating system because it ties the cigar quality to the consumer's wallet. Your A - F scale would be most similar to that .