What's new

Cigar humidity problem?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was hoping to get a bit of advice.
I live in the UK and I mainly smoke in the summer (not a fan of smoking in the cold and my wife won't let me smoke indoors which is fair enough)
Anyway I've come across a strange problem today that hopefully someone can shed some light on. I keep my cigars in a small wooden humidor with a well calibrated hygro. I smoke exclusively R&J's with a few new world but my humidor is a steady 65%. +- 2 degrees.
After taking out a stick today it felt perfect, no spongyness, firm when I rolled it in my fingers with no cracking but also no bounce. Prefect I thought. Anyway I left it out for say 15 -20 minutes to acclimatise before smoking, cut it lit it, and by the time I took my first puff the outer binding had cracked slightly and after 1 draw the cigar was really spongy like it had been over humidified and ended up smoking terribly with an awful uneven burn. I'm slightly perplexed, has anyone had this before? I don't think the cigars are over humidified as they all "feel" perfect and the hygro has been recalibrated and is correct. I'm hoping it's just 1 bad stick although I do always buy them from legit sellers so don't think it was a well made fake slipped in but being as it was only 19 degrees here and 60% humidity I don't think it was the environment that ruined it so quickly.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
ok 19c is about 66f so unless you where storing in the 80sF that shouldn't be the problem. the rh was similar between storage and smoke place. Can you think of any reason that cigar would be wetter then the humidor? What do you use to control humdity? Best thing to do is smoke another and see if the problem persists before you start trying to fix an issue you may not have.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 unit humidor so I use 2 X boveda packs and it seems to do the job.
I'm literally perplexed as to what the issue is but thought I'd ask as maybe it's happened to someone else, but going from humidor to smoke it was like smoking 2 different cigars. I definitely think I need to smoke another and see if the issue persists or whether it was just 1 bad stick which I'm hoping for!

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’ve had the same experience several times, while the remainder of cigars from the same box smoked very nicely and with great flavor. Hopefully this is just a case of a bad apple out of the batch, and nothing more.