Cigar Journal

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by gmm213, Feb 10, 2018.

1. gmm213

gmm213

I'm just wondering if people keep some kind of record of there smokes? What template do you use?

2. Boudie

Boudie donor2

How extensive do you want to be? I keep a handwritten journal comparing the flavors I find to the reviews, length of smoke, how long in the humidor, cost, burn, etc.

BloodWood and gmm213 like this.
  3. GreekElite

GreekElite

I bought a cigar log book off Amazon, never used it lol just collects dust on the shelf. If i like a smoke, I buy more

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NavyJC(RET), Opie, jasonatjl and 5 others like this.
  4. WNYTONY

WNYTONY donor4

Excel spreadsheet. Keep inventory, size, price and short note on whether I liked it or not. I have in my (free) Dropbox so I can get to it from my phone which is handy if you're standing in a shop.

5. BubbaLa

BubbaLa

Been pasting bands in a notebook, comments for the cigars. Have been buying lots of samplers so i want to keep track for later buys

gmm213 and Glassman like this.
  6. Necron99

Necron99

I do reviews on my Facebook page. It pisses off my holier-than-tho family members and entertains my pot-stirring family members and I also have a few friends who enjoy my reviews. I started it just to keep track of my cigar journey, having only started to smoke cigars last year, and now it's fun and I have a little friends fan base.

7. Burnaz16

Burnaz16

I have a couple methods that work great for me to have duplicates on my computer and my phone. The app store has the Cigar Scanner which is awesome, allows you to pick and log each size you own, what you rated it, date you purchased, and also allows you to keep a wish list of things you're interested in purchasing and a favorites list of things you loved. The other method I use is excel spreadsheets to log the sticks I want and the sticks I have, their sizes, and two different rating systems (0 - 5.0 and 1-5 stars if I'm lazy and don't want to use the rating calculator I modified from someone else). If you guys want my rating system it weighs the different categories of each stick (burn, construction, flavor and overall experience). Or if you want the entire spreadsheet file let me know I'll email it to you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Glassman and gmm213 like this.
  8. navyvet

navyvet

Media:
    Albums:
    I use a stack of mini legal tablets that sit on my table with my ash tray

Glassman and gmm213 like this.
  9. multi-useless

multi-useless donor5

When I first started smoking, I would rate the cigar 1-10 on the back of the band. That lasted maybe a couple weeks before I decided I'd rather just enjoy my smoke and not overthink it.

If it's good, you'll remember it. If it sucks, you'll remember that too.

Musubhee, NavyJC(RET), gmm213 and 6 others like this.
  10. Tonyd58

Tonyd58

There is a phone app. "Aficianado" I love it. You can log every cigar into several humidors, if u have multiple. They cab be sorted it by groups. Price, country, etc. Also has tasting notes where u can time ur smoke and fill out a flavor wheel for each third. It is also helpful to find length and ring gauge. Screenshot_20180211-080207.png Screenshot_20180211-080150.png

Glassman, gmm213, Necron99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Old Smokey

Old Smokey

I just enjoy relaxing and enjoying a nice cigar. The thought of analyzing a cigar as I smoke just has no appeal to me. By the time I am done smoking I know if I enjoyed it or not. The experience is rarely the same the next time I smoke one from the same batch.
    I realize others enjoy exploring deeper on the subtle nuances and keeping track. I am just not that guy.

Palama, gmm213, Opie and 5 others like this.
  12. Boudie

Boudie donor2

I looked into this and the reviews where kind of ho hum, limited inventory of cigars and no way to put in past pricing and where you bought them. Is this your experience?

gmm213 likes this.
  13. CVAC085

CVAC085

gmm213 and Glassman like this.
  14. Tonyd58

Tonyd58

Yes it is but it is the only app that comes close to being perfect. In terms of inventory you can request new cigars and their turn around is pretty quick. But I just get creative instead. I will just choose a very similar cigar and write in the notes what it actually is, who I got it from, which box pass, etc.

gmm213, Glassman and Boudie like this.
  15. jcorona

jcorona

I use my iphone's notes app. I write short reviews of all the cigars I smoke. Easy to do and very accessible.

gmm213 likes this.
  16. Tyler86

Tyler86

@gmm213 don't overthink it yet. Record what you like and don't like, don't worry too much about flavor profiles, yet, if you notice some great! I use my "notes" AP for what I've had and what I want etc. one thing I didn't see any one else comment on was recording WRAPPER,BINDER and FILLERS that were if at all possible of what you like and don't like, that's far more important than brand or anything else when deciding on what future cigars to buy and NOT buy. Example: if you smoke something with an Ecuadorian Habano Wrapper and hate it (highly unlikely) you may want to hesitate on buying any more using that wrapper until your palette changes, and it WILL. Have fun! SAVE your money,LOL YEAH RIGHT!

gmm213 likes this.
  17. BloodWood

BloodWood donor2

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I pay close attention to my pre-smoke meal and beverage accompaniment; all documented accordingly.
    I love Mexican food.
    Though, I have yet to find a cigar blend that marries well with spicy food (or spicy food burps) ... According to my low performance palate.

gmm213 likes this.
  18. Scotchman

Scotchman

gmm213 likes this.
  19. EL Corojo

EL Corojo

It depends; I love writing reviews, and used to review a lot of smokes. It really helped me to better describe flavor profiles and to better understand complex smokes. I hardly ever do it anymore. I have several reviews written in a word document that I probably should post at some point.

CVAC085 and gmm213 like this.
  20. Boudie

Boudie donor2

I guess this something else I take to the extreme?

20180909_093304.jpg

20180909_093729.jpg