What's new

Cigar recommendations?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So, while I'm waiting for the tupperdore stuff to arrive, I figured I would pick your brains and give a little background in the hopes that you good people might be able to throw some advice/recommendations my way. Thanks for the input on my other thread by the way...it is beyond helpful!

I enjoy what I believe to be "mild/mellow" cigars. Over the years, my super limited knowledge has told me that if it has a light wrapper, it is going to be more on the mild end. Could be completely wrong, probably is, but that has been my methodology. For reference, I'm a pipe smoker, and I almost exclusively smoke cavendish/aromatics. I love the retrohale on that kind of blend especially.

While I don't remember a lot of specifics, I can tell you that using the "light wrapper" guide, I have found numerous Ashtons that I enjoyed, as well as some Romeo & Julietas. The only ones that I specifically remember the name of were a couple of Cohiba Siglo VI that were fantastic to me.

As a side note, I had a Perdomo Lot 23 the other day that was absolutely awful to me. It just tasted like burnt, wet ashtray the entire time...and the retrohale was so unpleasant it was like a burning tire. Never had that happen before with any cigar.

Anyhow...what would you recommend I try? Any suggestions for mild/mellow types? Maybe some medium/full-bodied ones that might expand my horizons? I've been really intrigued by the idea of chocolate notes in cigars...was pretty interested in trying a La Careme or similar.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
While I don't like mild medium anymore I did used to smoke them just over 6 months ago. Some of the ones that were my favorites and priced low were

H. Upman Vintage Cameroon
CAO CX2
Alec Bradley Medalist

I also really loved Cohiba Red Dots but the prices are aweful, these are an average smoke priced higher than Padrons. I think you can score them cheap on auction sites.

Another more medium you may want to try is

Arturo Fuente Hemingway

I know a lot of folks smoke Romeo y Julieta and Monticristo (NC versions) but those were always too mild for me.

One word of advice DO NOT STOCK UP on any of them no matter how much you like them, if you are new expect your palette to change. I have boxes of these leftover and rarely smoke them anymore.

YamRZ350

Wrench Thrower
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorta depends on your budget.
I really like Charter Oak both the shade and Maduro. Reasonably priced and always great quality. Undercrown shades are enjoyable and wont break the bank depending on size.
Alandino Connecticuts are really tasty, maybe my favorite connecticut currently.

5 vegas golds are budget priced, but much better after they sit for a few months or longer. I like the nuggets.

Edit: Don't limit yourself to lighter wrappers. As you found out with the la careme, plenty of milder / medium stuff out there. 4 kicks is another Crowned Heads cigar I really like.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You probably like the Ashton because they use aged tobacco which will normally give you a smoother, less harsh or bitter smoke. Saying you like lighter wrapper cigars means you probably prefer the flavors of hay, grass, cream, nuts, buttered toast maybe a bit of pepper. Best way to decide is to read the reviews or tasting notes of a cigar you like and compare to the cigars you are considering.

I've been buying the Oliva Connecticut Reserve as my go to Connecticut, reasonable priced, often on sale and I really like the cigar as a morning smoke.

I'm not a pipe smoker so I'm not familiar with the blend you smoke but Drew Estate makes the Larutan (natural) that reminds me of aroma's emanating from a sweeter pipe smoke.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
For all practical purposes, you’re right about lighter wrapper = mild. (Usually.) That said, a darker wrapper can mask the strength of a stronger blend and there are plenty of great flavorful smokes with a maduro wrapper that won’t give you nicotine poisoning.

As for suggestions, I’m gonna recommend samplers at this stage.

Also, sign up for emails from major retailers like www.famous-smoke.com and www.smallbatchcigar.com - both of them are sponsors of this forum, and both are reputable retailers with excellent selection, prices, and service. They’ll email you when they’re having sales or promotions, and when you see something that sounds good to you, you can save a few bucks on it

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you, I initially used pretty much the same philosophy. I have now branched out a bit and find myself liking the darker wrapper as I like the slightly heavier and oily quality so I now often get the same cigar in both wrappers to see/compare the differences. Lately, my favorites are Kristoff, Oliva and New World. Keep exploring and smoke what you like!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am a pipe smoker as well, not as often this time of year as I prefer cigars to pipes once it gets nicer out, and smoke a good bit of aromatics. As lighter cigars I second oliva Connecticut reserve and also Camacho Connecticut is a good one. I do prefer more full bodied and strong cigars but those are the few Connecticut’s I like.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Flor de las Antillas. That should be good for you. Middle road strength which I find light - aromatic and honestly for the money a pretty darn good smoke.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions! I just placed my order...with the objective of pushing my comfort zone a bit. I ordered:

2 x Le Careme Robusto
2 x Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial
1 x Guardian of the Farm
1 x CAO Italia Piazza
1 x Romeo & Julieta 1875
1 x La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reserva Divino
2 x Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic
1 x Oliva Connecticut Reserve

What do you fellas think?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All very good cigars and after smoking through these you should have a pretty good idea of what you like.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your post, I'd also suggest trying Romeo y Julieta Vintage. It's mild and aged, similar to an Ashton. In general Connecticut shades are mild or mellow but that's not always the case. Maduros can also be mild. Already mentioned, La Aurora Cameroon, AVO Classic and Perdomo 10th Ann. Champagne, all great imo.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions! I just placed my order...with the objective of pushing my comfort zone a bit. I ordered:

2 x Le Careme Robusto
2 x Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial
1 x Guardian of the Farm
1 x CAO Italia Piazza
1 x Romeo & Julieta 1875
1 x La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reserva Divino
2 x Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic
1 x Oliva Connecticut Reserve

What do you fellas think?
Why don't you go to the "Introduction" section and properly introduce yourself so we can properly welcome you!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mild to medium, you can't go wrong with Arturo Fuentes. They have a lot in that area like the Gran Reserva and Chateau series along with the Hemmingways. For a medium, the Fuente Rosado is one of my favorites. San Cristobal Revelation is also another medium I really like.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
For mild to medium, you can't go wrong with Arturo Fuentes. They have a lot in that area like the Gran Reserva and Chateau series along with the Hemmingways. For a medium, the Fuente Rosado is one of my favorites. San Cristobal Revelation is also another medium I really like.
Love me some Hemingways. Fairly one dimensional, buts it certainly an enjoyable dimension (width, I’ve been told).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk