What's new

Cigar Review: My Father La Opulencia

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I stripped most of my "blogspeak BS" out of this haha! We just got these in a few weeks ago at Got Cigars? in Decatur.

This is a softer box press at 6X54, complete with the extravagant and somewhat ornate band that My Father is known for.

Cutting into the cigar with a straight cut, I take a prelight cold draw and pick up hints of wood, fruity notes. Pepper is actually absent considering this is a My Father cigar. Once the cigar is lit a few puffs revealed white pepper from the wispy, white smoke. The draw was solid. Fruit and graham cracker sweetness, almost like honey, join the fold.

This is a full bodied, yet softer release from My Father, a perfect compliment to the My Father Le Bijou line. sweetness

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Wow. Not at all the experience I had. Maybe it was batch or maybe I should have held on to one a little longer and tried again.
I smoked the smallest viola, loads of overbearing white red and black pepper on the back of the throat and retro was brutal. Some pleasant cocoa and leather notes at times, were subsequently overwhelmed by harsh pepper and smoked hickory notes.
Curious if it's palate, batch or freshness differences, but not really in a hurry to relive the experience.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Wow. Not at all the experience I had. Maybe it was batch or maybe I should have held on to one a little longer and tried again.
I smoked the smallest viola, loads of overbearing white red and black pepper on the back of the throat and retro was brutal. Some pleasant cocoa and leather notes at times, were subsequently overwhelmed by harsh pepper and smoked hickory notes.
Curious if it's palate, batch or freshness differences, but not really in a hurry to relive the experience.
Don't be such a baby.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The problem isn't the peppery-ness of the cigars, it's your lack of manliness in dealing with it.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::smuggrin: Brotherly love, right there.

Wish I could be sure of the source of the discrepancy.
How long did you let it rest? I have some that have a few months on them. Not real long, but might help a little, plus probably from a different batch. Will send one your way, if you're interested.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ha! :finger::kiss:
I wish I had the experience he did. That's what I was expecting. Mine was terrible. Wish I could be sure of the source of the discrepancy. It's weird, I've smoked other cigars described as very peppery in reviews, and I didn't find them to be so at all..... (n)
Sometimes maybe a bit more rest might help?? I know from my own experience that helped a few smokes that I’ve enjoyed.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::smuggrin: Brotherly love, right there.

How long did you let it rest? I have some that have a few months on them. Not real long, but might help a little, plus probably from a different batch. Will send one your way, if you're interested.
Really appreciate that Harlan, but you've sent me too much already. And I'd feel bad for you to waste one on me if I still hated it.. ;)

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Omg.. retro on a nic. Don pepin.... that has to hurt!!!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Omg.. retro on a nic. Don pepin.... that has to hurt!!!
It did for me on that one! But others have said the opposite. I found the "Cuban classic" to be fairly pleasant, and I have an aged and a more recent "Vegas cubanas" people have sent me to try soon.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
LOL What you’re saying is, you want me to send you a “brown grab bag of Gurkhas” from CI?

TBH, I’m not really smoking a Gurkha, although I do have a couple Genghis Khan CH’s in the humidor. One of the first smokes I was introduced to - probably a bit too peppery for you, but I keep them around for those times I want to remind myself how I got into this mess with you clowns.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
LOL What you’re saying is, you want me to send you a “brown grab bag of Gurkhas” from CI?

TBH, I’m not really smoking a Gurkha, although I do have a couple Genghis Khan CH’s in the humidor. One of the first smokes I was introduced to - probably a bit too peppery for you, but I keep them around for those times I want to remind myself how I got into this mess with you clowns.
It was the Macanudo that got me.. I hope to never smoke another original line blend Mac again..
Only Gurkha I've had so far is the centurion, and it's still in my top 5 worst ever. But I have several other Gurkha mocking me in my cooler... :(

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It was the Macanudo that got me.. I hope to never smoke another original line blend Mac again..
Only Gurkha I've had so far is the centurion, and it's still in my top 5 worst ever. But I have several other Gurkha mocking me in my cooler... :(
The other day I received a “Ron Mexico” in a trade and was like, “WTF is this?”

Sorry homie, that went straight in the trash, LOL.

So you like Macanudos you say? #noted

But on a serious note, lots of Gurkha hate / bashing, most of them are duds and overpriced garbage, but there’s a couple out there that are pretty fair. I still wouldn’t pay more than a couple bucks a stick for one though, and that’s being generous.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
It did for me on that one! But others have said the opposite. I found the "Cuban classic" to be fairly pleasant, and I have an aged and a more recent "Vegas cubanas" people have sent me to try soon.
The Vegas Cubanas aren't bad, but the Cuban Classic does nothing for me. Something in the flavor profile that leaves me questioning the life choices that led to me buying that cigar. The Blues though... the Blues are nice.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The Vegas Cubanas aren't bad, but the Cuban Classic does nothing for me. Something in the flavor profile that leaves me questioning the life choices that led to me buying that cigar. The Blues though... the Blues are nice.
I love those DPG Blues, I wasn’t impressed with the Cuban Classic either. Yet to have a Vegas Cubanas, my local store has em but since the last incident with their inventory having beetle holes, I tend to stay out of their humidor. :/

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Awhile back there was a dog rocket box pass going on that was absolutly hilarious. Sounds like it might be time for you guys to revive it.