What's new

Cigar Safe Zippo Fuel?

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My brother recently gave me his old zippo with no fuel in it. I know that zippos out of all the methods are the least preferred due to the taste they sometimes leave behind. In order to not this taste in the cigar some let the lighter burn for a bit but I've heard of some zippo fuel in a black cannister that is supposedly free of the chemicals that makes cigars taste funny. Thoughts?

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use the Zplus insert. I think one of the sponsors of the site sells them. They are butane inserts so you do not have to deal with the fluid.

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already have a butane to start the cigar, I was hoping to use it when relighting. When I relight I like to use something with a "softer flame" like matches.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The local shop by me sells it. A couple of the customers that have bought it say its like the regular. I have not tried it so I'm have not formed an opinion.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The key word I would focus on is "reduced". This means there is still some oder that will impart to your cigar. I'm sure its better but why chance it with a quality cigar. You can get a soft flame from a bic or other butane tossable lighter.

If you get it, let us know how things work out.

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You bring up a good point and the last thing I want to do is waste money on something that ruins cigars when I could have spent it buying more cigars.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
This is one area (ok, ok, one of many) that I differ from the norm. I would rub to gerbils together (not in a dirty way, perverts) if it would produce the heat needed to light a cigar. After a short burn off period, I have never noted any unpleasant taste or odor from any lighter (I even keep a Bic in the car for emergencies) or matches.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My brother recently gave me his old zippo with no fuel in it. I know that zippos out of all the methods are the least preferred due to the taste they sometimes leave behind. In order to not this taste in the cigar some let the lighter burn for a bit but I've heard of some zippo fuel in a black cannister that is supposedly free of the chemicals that makes cigars taste funny. Thoughts?
I use this fuel as well as the zplus insert. I have found the improved Zippo fuel to be OK and it doesn't seem to leave any bad taste behind. I think the important thing is to let it burn for a few seconds after you light it up to get through the initial fuel and have it burning efficiently before you put your cigar to it.

I prefer a torch myself so more often than not I have the torch insert in my Zippo.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... I think the important thing is to let it burn for a few seconds after you light it up to get through the initial fuel...
True dat! I have to confess to borrowing a friend's Zippo a couple of times and, after letting it burn for a couple of seconds before bringing it to the foot of the cigar, I could not detect any effect on the cigar's flavor.

Also, there are lots of cheap, reliable soft-flame butane lighters out there. I have a couple of Nibos that look like the classic Dupont/Cartier/Dunhill roller lighters. They have a flint ignition, but produce a soft butane flame.

Finally, for those of you with some patience, check this out: http://www.zippoblu.com/ . I'll be all over one of those bad boys, once they hit the market. :hearteyes

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
This is one area (ok, ok, one of many) that I differ from the norm. I would rub to gerbils together (not in a dirty way, perverts) if it would produce the heat needed to light a cigar. After a short burn off period, I have never noted any unpleasant taste or odor from any lighter (I even keep a Bic in the car for emergencies) or matches.

Exactly.. if you light it and purge it you really will not have the after-taste that I hear talked about so much.. or I have never experienced it..

cjazz

Hecho en USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many others have said . . . let the intial vapors burn off of regular Zippo fuel. I got a Z-plus insert and have never looked back.