What's new

Cigar Smoking and Health Insurance

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I would have to imagine the widow would be able to file a DTPA (deceptive trade practice) suit against the insurance company. His death was obviously in no way tied to his smoking.

There is absolutely no way the insurance company will win that one.
I would love to agree with you here but if they can prove that he somehow lied about being a smoker they can and will void his policy. In their minds he hasn't been paying high enough premiums. I just saw a special on tv recently where insurance companies were denying out of country health insurance if they could prove you had somehow you ticked the wrong box on a questionnaire. Even it it was in no way related to the issue had out of country. I am not sure but have heard many issues of insurance companies dropping clients in the us once a major health issue is discovered.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Next question: What about the person that starts smoking after he already has a policy? Is he obligated to notify the carrier that he now smokes?

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
So to Aaron's point, if they can find that you lied on your application, whether it had to do with the cause of your death or not, they can deny your claim. Just like many health insurance companies are doing now for major medical. They find some history of something little that you didn't report and call it a pre-existing condition or a lie on your app and deny you coverage.

So for me, I tried the route of stopping smoking for like a week for a life insurance test. Turns out the nic was still in my system and I got hit with the smokers rates. In the end, I feel ok with that because 1) I am a higher risk but 2) if something should happen and they decide to dig, they'll easily find that I have a long standing locker membership at a couple cigar stores, so I'd be done.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
So to Aaron's point, if they can find that you lied on your application, whether it had to do with the cause of your death or not, they can deny your claim. Just like many health insurance companies are doing now for major medical. They find some history of something little that you didn't report and call it a pre-existing condition or a lie on your app and deny you coverage.

So for me, I tried the route of stopping smoking for like a week for a life insurance test. Turns out the nic was still in my system and I got hit with the smokers rates. In the end, I feel ok with that because 1) I am a higher risk but 2) if something should happen and they decide to dig, they'll easily find that I have a long standing locker membership at a couple cigar stores, so I'd be done.
Exactly and not worth it to your families future if something was to happen to you. We all try to be prepared for the worst then try to scrimp on something like this and put our families at risk. I smoke too much to try and sneak through on non smoker rates but after seeing what families can be put through had to put my views on this out there.

I still have high hopes for my buddies family as they know he smoked a little they are just trying to prove he smoked more then he did.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
When the nurse or doctor asks if I smoke I just say "does an occasional cigar count?" To date the reply has always been NO.

Thank God for understanding and realistic health care professionals!!

DevonS

Busted Mailbox
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And for me it is the odd cigar. 2 a month average. more in the summer, almost none in the winter. -40 is not nice smoking weather!

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
When the nurse or doctor asks if I smoke I just say "does an occasional cigar count?" To date the reply has always been NO.

Thank God for understanding and realistic health care professionals!!
I wish...that same answer got me flagged as a smoker with my doctors and nurses.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I value my integrity to much to lie. The rules are the rules and I may not agree with them, but I am honest on insurance questionnaires and applications. As a result this year I pay an extra $40 a month surcharge on my already raised premiums for health insurance because I smoke. It is the price of my choice to smoke cigars. It sucks, and I don't think it is fair, but then I could always quit smoking cigars if I don't want to pay. I just can't sit there and lecture my children about honesty and integrity and then go lie myself to save a few bucks.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Well said, Matt. People nearly always have an "ends justify the means" disposition when it comes to telling the truth, it's refreshing to hear someone just say "tell the truth cause it's the right thing to do." I always tell the truth about my smoking.

At my last job, I had to take a "smoking cessation" course at my last job to avoid paying the extra monthly premium. Fortunately, the program stated clearly "you do not have to quit for this to count." :D Those were some funny conversations though! Rep: "How badly do you want to quit, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest?" Me: "Can I answer zero?" Thankfully, my current employer doesn't have an extra premium for smokers.

Regarding the insurance, the problem is this: if you knowingly provide false information to a company, that's fraud, and can void the life insurance contract.

Always be honest in those things. Why risk your family's future? Pay up, or find an insurer who won't charge extra, there are several out there.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
the difference is, the occasional cigar smoker is NOT at risk like the cigarette smoker is.
I am not trying to be confrontational. Everyone needs to do what they believe is right but in my opinion that is a rationalization. If the insurance company rules say they consider you a smoker if you smoke even the occasional cigar then by their policy you are a smoker and should answer accordingly.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The problem then becomes what is occasional. In my friends case he had declared that he was occasional but they are trying to find out exactly how much in an attempt to dodge. They knew he was but are just looking to have some one say I saw him smoke 2 cigars that week. I am a firm believer in cover your ass against the insurance company. If in doubt click the box that will cost you more just because you are more likely to see a payout in the end.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have always told my GP no, but I told my cardiologist yes because I wanted to know if it had anything to do with my heart issues. He asked how often and I told him honestly it was a few a week in the summer (at the time) and not many in the winter and he didn't even bother to write it down. He said that was an inconsequential number.

As far as insurance goes, they're more concerned with my cholesterol and triglycerides (not to mention the stent I got in 2009) than the handful of cigars I smoke in a month's time.