What's new

Cigar Tar and how to get rid of it

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Today I am enjoying an LADC EE that has a little age to it with a nicely yellowed cello.

Approximately half way in I notice that slightly burning sensation that lets me know I have a leaker on my hands. I dab it on some paper to be able to show what I'm talking about. That oozing dark tar type matter that has a foul taste and sensation to the lips and tongue. It doesn't happen often, but its not completely rare either.

When you have this happen the best action to get rid of it is to simply recut the cigar a bit lower. Usually this will remove the collection and rarely happens a second time.

After doing a little internet searching I came across a blog that had an explanation provided by a manufacturer (that preferred to stay anonymous).
“This grotesque syrup is somewhat of an enigma. We assume that it is sap left inside the stem of the leaf which doesn’t evaporate during fermentation. It is extremely rare, but by far one of the most pungent and foul substances of the world. It has been my experience that cutting below the ooze usually ends the matter.”
So there you have it, recut and carry on. Finished it to nub without any further issue. Very good cigar I might add.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I cut lower than a few others here.(slightly) I also purge and light about every 10-15 mins during smoking. To not only clean up the flavors in a cigar. But also to prevent exactly what you are showing here. IMO cutting off the end does not stop the tarring process. You are still burning down the cigar where the tar has collected. By purging outwards and burning it off. It always cleans up a cigar. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for posting.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
After reading some great advice on the forum before I always do a good purge 5 or 6 times during a smoke and I've noticed a big difference. I can tell straight away now when I'm getting a build up and it keeps the flavours much more distinct all the way through the smoke. Good to see it in photos too.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I cut lower than a few others here.(slightly) I also purge and light about every 10-15 mins during smoking. To not only clean up the flavors in a cigar. But also to prevent exactly what you are showing here. IMO cutting off the end does not stop the tarring process. You are still burning down the cigar where the tar has collected. By purging outwards and burning it off. It always cleans up a cigar. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for posting.
I have read the same thing. I purge quite often too and haven't experienced any tar on the caps....yet. Great post!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wait purge the cigar you mean blow out rather then inhaling?

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
It has been a while since I had tar buildup on a smoke. Dont know what I really changed besides purging a few times and smoking slower.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
DAMN that is a great nub, trackmeyer! try purging periodically, storing at a lower RH, and smoking slower. but, yes, a secondary cut CAN save you from a wet smoke.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I also purge a few times during a cigar and don't have a problem with tar like I used to sometimes when I first started smoking.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yeah, like I stated, its not often but Ive had maybe a handful this year. Smoking 6-12 cigars a week thats not too bad. I've heard from another fella that it seems to be more in the Pepin sticks than others. Which is entirely possible since thats a lot of what I smoke on a regular basis. As to my storage comment, my NC sticks are kept at a cozy 65%rh.
Was just posting this up in the event someone encounters it for a first time and didnt want them to toss a stick and ruin their smoke. And just like this smoke, after a more aggressive cut, it went to nub without another single issue.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm definitely going to have to purge more often, and try cutting the cap a little lower. I've had about 4 cigars in the past month that have had some tar build up, and it honestly is one of the most foul things I have ever tasted. It completely ruined one of my Ave Maria Reconquista's, but I will have to try these tricks out and see if they work.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has not yet happened to me. Smoking 12 cigars a week as well. But not too many Pepins though. Maybe 1 to 3 in a week.

But now I know what to do if that happens. Excellent post!