What's new

Cigar Tax Conspiracy Theory

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I may be stating the obvious here, but isn't funny that this bill has a somewhat hidden cigar tax of up to $10 a cigar. That alone is wierd, thinking ten times as many people smoke cigarettes and use other forms of tobacco, why mess with cigars right?

Well what if not to far in the distant future after this bill was to pass, suddenly the government has a change of heart and decides that poor Cuba has suffered enough and releases it from our embargo. Then everyone is going to flock to the stores to buy what? You guessed it, Havanna's finest cigars. Even peolpe who dont normally smoke will get one just to see if the hype is true. Ten dollars from everyone that buys a Cuban Cigar after the embargo is lifted could total up very quickly.

This is my opinion, just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the matter. Maybe I don't know enough of the facts, but it sounds like a reasonable plot against us cigar smokers to me.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
even if they lift the embargo...it would still be easier/cheaper to purchase through international online vendors (if one was looking to acquire CC's that is) Also, there would be less trepidation as it would now be legal to possess/purchase Habanos.

what that doesn't account for would be the qaulity of the sticks produced if demanded multiplied in the Cuban factories.

don;t know...I may be talking out of my ass...but that's just my $.02

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If they were really interested in taxing CC, then they would just put a tariff on CC. This would have the same effect plus they would be more discrete. If you are thinking the embargo is going to be lifted anytime soon I think that is just wishful thinking. Even if the embargo was lifted for cigars, we would have a ton of copyright/trademark cases (which would go on for a few years no doubt) causing everyone to purchase overseas anyways. I wouldn’t worry about this being some conspiracy; its just the government wanting to get bigger and another attempt toward this thought of universal health care (since they can’t pass it, they are trying to get a little piece claiming its “for the children”).

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My call is the Cuban Cigars will be crap for years recovering from the suddenly huge demand of the American Market. The prices will be inflated and they won't have the tobacco to meet the demand resulting in inferior cigars.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I dont know about a conspiracy. Provokes thought though. My belief is when the embargo is dropped the product will not be distributed openly but throught retail stores throughout the US LCDH. Yes some will sneak in through other channels, but using this system they can semi control the flow of product and not overwhelm the market.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Interesting thought.
Sure is. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist but I listen to everything. I also wouldn't put anything past this government. When it comes down to it though, I agree with Tex...it's just the government trying new methods to grow itself. I downloaded and listened to Reagans inaugural speech in '81 the other day. The principles he aspired to govern by no longer exist even in todays Republican party. People better wake up. I hear the gov jobs vs. priv sector is now at about 48% to 52%. When the government grows to over 50%, we have a problem folks! :stickbeat

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Follow the Oil................Infrastructure..........Who's REALLY making the money............Haliburton ring a bell????

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I dont know about a conspiracy. Provokes thought though. My belief is when the embargo is dropped the product will not be distributed openly but throught retail stores throughout the US LCDH. Yes some will sneak in through other channels, but using this system they can semi control the flow of product and not overwhelm the market.
USLCDH....inspiring, hopefully it will happen soon. I can only dream about visiting an LCDH on 7th Ave in Ybor City and firing up a Sir Winston.