What's new

Cigarbid excise Tax ??

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Here is what Cbid is saying about Excise taxes. Apparently it is just a handful of states (for now).

Excise Tax
As you may know, certain states have recently begun to impose excise taxes on tobacco products sold by online retailers. CigarBid collects excise taxes on your purchases as required by law. Please note that such tobacco excise taxes are in addition to applicable sales or use taxes, if any.

Maryland

Effective October 1, 2019, the State of Maryland is imposing an excise tax on all tobacco products sold to Maryland customers. The Maryland excise tax rate differs depending on the type of tobacco product sold:

- Premium cigars are taxed at 15% of the wholesale price
- Pipe tobacco is taxed at 30% of the wholesale price

For more details on the Maryland excise tax, please review here.

Michigan

Effective January 1, 2022, the State of Michigan is imposing an excise tax on all cigars sold to Michigan customers. Cigars are taxed at 32% of the wholesale price, with a maximum excise tax of fifty cents ($.50) per cigar.

For more details on the Michigan excise tax, please review here.

Ohio

Effective October 16, 2019, the State of Ohio imposes an excise tax on all tobacco products delivered to Ohio customers. The Ohio excise tax rate differs depending on the type of tobacco product purchased:

- Most premium cigars (and all pipe tobacco) are taxed at 17% of the wholesale, with a maximum excise tax of fifty three cents ($.53) per premium cigar.
- Most little cigars with a filter or tip are taxed at 37% of the wholesale price

For more details on the Ohio excise tax, please review here.

Pennsylvania

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania imposes an excise tax on “small cigars” shipped to customers in Pennsylvania. Specifically, small cigars weighing 4lb per 1000 or less, not in carton packs, and not containing 20 to 25 sticks per pack are taxed at $0.13 per cigar. (Please note, we cannot ship to Pennsylvania customers any small cigars weighing 4lb per 1000 or less packed in cartons that contain 20 to 25 sticks per pack).

Loose or pipe tobacco is taxed at 55 cents ($0.55) per ounce, with a minimum excise tax of 66 cents ($0.66) per package.

South Dakota

Effective January 1, 2022, the State of South Dakota is imposing an excise tax of 32% of the wholesale price on all cigars shipped to customers in South Dakota. SD continues to prohibit the shipping of all other tobacco products.

For more details on the South Dakota excise tax, please review here.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess a bit of math will tell you what Cbid is paying for the cigars you are buying.

There goes another pricing advantage online retail has over the shops. Stock up now, everything is on sale, won't be long before every state has it's hands out.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Here is what Cbid is saying about Excise taxes. Apparently it is just a handful of states (for now).

Excise Tax
As you may know, certain states have recently begun to impose excise taxes on tobacco products sold by online retailers. CigarBid collects excise taxes on your purchases as required by law. Please note that such tobacco excise taxes are in addition to applicable sales or use taxes, if any.

Maryland

Effective October 1, 2019, the State of Maryland is imposing an excise tax on all tobacco products sold to Maryland customers. The Maryland excise tax rate differs depending on the type of tobacco product sold:

- Premium cigars are taxed at 15% of the wholesale price
- Pipe tobacco is taxed at 30% of the wholesale price

For more details on the Maryland excise tax, please review here.

Michigan

Effective January 1, 2022, the State of Michigan is imposing an excise tax on all cigars sold to Michigan customers. Cigars are taxed at 32% of the wholesale price, with a maximum excise tax of fifty cents ($.50) per cigar.

For more details on the Michigan excise tax, please review here.

Ohio

Effective October 16, 2019, the State of Ohio imposes an excise tax on all tobacco products delivered to Ohio customers. The Ohio excise tax rate differs depending on the type of tobacco product purchased:

- Most premium cigars (and all pipe tobacco) are taxed at 17% of the wholesale, with a maximum excise tax of fifty three cents ($.53) per premium cigar.
- Most little cigars with a filter or tip are taxed at 37% of the wholesale price

For more details on the Ohio excise tax, please review here.

Pennsylvania

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania imposes an excise tax on “small cigars” shipped to customers in Pennsylvania. Specifically, small cigars weighing 4lb per 1000 or less, not in carton packs, and not containing 20 to 25 sticks per pack are taxed at $0.13 per cigar. (Please note, we cannot ship to Pennsylvania customers any small cigars weighing 4lb per 1000 or less packed in cartons that contain 20 to 25 sticks per pack).

Loose or pipe tobacco is taxed at 55 cents ($0.55) per ounce, with a minimum excise tax of 66 cents ($0.66) per package.

South Dakota

Effective January 1, 2022, the State of South Dakota is imposing an excise tax of 32% of the wholesale price on all cigars shipped to customers in South Dakota. SD continues to prohibit the shipping of all other tobacco products.

For more details on the South Dakota excise tax, please review here.
How is California NOT on that list?!?! Our "Gavinor Gruesome" must be out of the loop.:unsure:

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
64% tax is enough for him to have dinner at the French laundry
It's never enough for a money junkie!

"Here’s what money feels like once you’re completely addicted.
Quickly, money feels like your master. It rules every waking hour you have.
The emotional and physical pain you go through when you aren’t stealing it just keeps getting worse...." Gavin Gruesome

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I remember the first order(s) I had with the online ordering giants that included sales tax. I almost crapped my pants. Didn’t order for a while as a protest until everyone started doing it, still sucks and makes me ill but that’s the cost of doing business o_O

it’s always funny to see what you get used to over the years with price, and tax increases.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think it will take longer for the smaller companies to start charging the extra taxes. I was able to place an order this morning that didn't have sales or sin tax included. Guess I'll I get a letter at the end of the year, amazing how many lighters, butane, cutters I buy each year!