What's new

Cigars and cello

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Borrowed from Cheaphumidors but felt it brought up several good points:

Many cigars are sold in individual cellophane overwraps. Should I remove the cellophane prior to placing the cigars in my humidor?
What about tubes and bands? Are cigars best stored "naked"?

Cellophane serves several purposes on a cigar -- in states that require each cigar to have a warning label, it makes this notification much easier to accomplish, and it prevents damage to the cigars from excessive handling in cigar shops.

Once you have the cigars in your home and are ready to put them in your humidor, the choice is really up to you if you want to keep the wrapper on or off. Here is a great trick if you happen to keep the wrappers on. Take a cigar, with the wrapper on and cut it with your guillotine cutter. The wrapper will prevent any tobacco from gumming up your blade, you will get a better cut, and your blades will last longer.
If your cigar comes in tubes, take the cigars out before storing.
These tubes, either glass, or plastic, will completely close off a cigar to humidification if left on.

However, if you intend to transport your cigars \(such as in a coat pocket\), it may be a good idea to keep a few tubes or cellophane overwraps handy to protect the cigars during transport.

As far as bands are concerned, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to remove them, but when possible, I generally choose to keep the bands on. First, it makes identifying the cigars much easier, and it also prevents inadvertent damage to the cigar's wrapper that can occur while removing the band.

Gentlemen, read above, I did not write this. It is borrowed from another site... what you do is what you do... I did not post this to have a law passed in favor of... jeez

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a great trick if you happen to keep the wrappers on. Take a cigar, with the wrapper on and cut it with your guillotine cutter. The wrapper will prevent any tobacco from gumming up your blade, you will get a better cut, and your blades will last longer.

Bunch of kaka, buddy did that and now his cutter mangles the stick.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I always thought that you only cut the cigar with the cello only if you have a really dull cutter. If you have a sharp cutter then the cello will only hinder the blades.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use a punch on 99% of my cigars; and I have cigar scissors for those that I do actually cut. Since I use the cello for other things after the cigar is smoked, I'd not want to cut it.

Thanks.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
:stickbeat

If you get a good cutter, it doesn't gum up. Buy shit, it works like shit.

And the comment about taking cigars out of tubes, well, let's just say I disagree and leave it at that.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Hmm...I think I'll try it on a tubos and see how it works; the aluminum should TOTALLY prevent the blade from getting gummed up!

:grin: