What's new

Cigars every connoisseur should own/try?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I've been into cigars for about 4 or 5 years now. It's what actually got me off of cigarettes. I started with Acid cigars, and quickly moved to non-infused sticks. I was stuck on Camacho for a while, all I would smoke were Connecticut and Corojo and Corojo maduro. Then moved to the Triple Maduro and then fell in love with anything Diesel and AJ Fernandez.

I stopped for a while due to a move across the county, no job (at the time), and no local shop.

I recently got my humidors full once again and have built a wineador (drawers pending). I ordered a 35 cigar Sampler from CI of nothing but Diesel cigars, and various other Fernandez cigars.

My question is this.....what classics do I need to get?

I feel like I jumped straight into the "new age" stuff. I got into cigars after the Camacho re-brand, and never really got to try any of their old label stuff (I have had an old label triple maduro).

What are some cigars that are not hard to find that every connoisseur should have/try/keep in their humidor? The classic families from the old school? I've been thinking about this the last few days, figured I'd ask y'all for some recommendations.

I'm open to any flavor profile, with being away from cigars for so long my palate kind of reset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like focusing on the "old school" limits you and prevents you from experiencing a lot of the newer sticks that are flipping delicious!!

If spicy is yo thing I don't think you could go wrong with Kristoff.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new stuff and will continue to buy the new/boutique stuff.

I just don't know where to start with the classics. The stuff that the new blenders smoked that got them to where they are now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every normal production cc

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
That's where I would eventually like to be. I'm still in the "research" phase of that before I start trying to get my hands on some.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
That's where I would eventually like to be. I'm still in the "research" phase of that before I start trying to get my hands on some.

Well realistically if you ha e the resources to commit to a box at a time rather than a fiver or whatever, regular production CC's are actually cheaper then most NC cigars you'll find.

That being said just get any cigars blended or produced by don pepin Garcia. He's such a god that a silly number of other brands have sticks in their lines that were actually made by him. You can easily find stuff like DPG blue for cheap though and that's a great stick, as is all of the my father stuff.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Rules are out the window.

Classics I would recommend are Davidoff, Fuente Don Carlos and Opus X, Padron’s ‘26 in both wrappers but...

With the modern day cigar boom, there are so many excellent cigars that are every bit as good, don’t feel like you’re missing something if you’re enjoying the leaders of the new school.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for 17 years, and I think that there are many cigars from the past that, at the time, were considered really good smokes, but today are considered "dog rockets"or "yard gars." I did smoke the old school Camacho cigars and they almost always made me nauseated. They tasted nice, but I always got sick after smoking one. Some great smokes from the past that I'd like to mention are the Torano line. If you can get your hands on the old ones they are great, old CAO cigars are good as well. I would also like to mention old Davidoffs, The Griffins, and AVO's as well. Old school Ashtons were good too. All of the NC's that I buy tend to be inexpensive, because I'd rather spend my money on cigars that you cannot find readily at your local shop though. I have loved many of the new NC offerings, by this I mean those made post 2007. I particularly like Tatuaje, which started earlier, but I came to the table late.

Last edited: