What's new

Cigars for your non cigar friends

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a pretty small group of fiends who actually smoke cigars and know what they are smoking. They tend to smoke similar within the same flavor and strength profile as myself. These people will also come with smokes of their own in most cases.

My question is what do you hand over to your friends who come over for a drink and a smoke when they really don't have any idea? They appreciate the idea and want to be part of the group but really have no idea.

What does everyone hand out when your non cigar friends come over to have a smoke? I mean real friends. Not an acquaintance or a friend of a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cheap because it may get tossed after a few puffs. If they enjoy it you can upgrade to better smokes.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I leave my premiums in the humidor and I pull out a selection of all the rest, good and bad. I let them pick and I educate them about their choice if they are interested. In my opinion those who are not aficionados choose based first on the size then on the band.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bunch of bundle cigars in all kinds of wrappers/sizes. Depending on thier level of knowledge I have some premium sticks that arent my cup of tea i can turn them on to

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
People I truely consider my friend could pick what they want from the stash. That said I usually take a selection with me if I go somewhere.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'll generally have the herfador filled, or give em a chance to pick one from the "budget drawer" if they want.. Nothing fancy, but no garbage either (I've already smoked all those! Lol) But with cigars being a poker night novelty, they'll usually go for something a bit more novel... Like Oktoberfest or anything that says barrel aged.
.....So I caught a sale on some old stock 2015 Oktoberfest for dirt cheap, and loaded up!:playful: I also picked up a fiver of plpc so they could try a CC without hitting up my stash.. best $30 I've spent! Lol, it was like I offered them something magical. I wish I could have recorded that night! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Overall, I just can't bring myself to give a REALLY good stick to someone who, I know, is going to lick and chew on it after dipping it into a drink... :facepalm:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If you have tried one and did not barf, let them try a yard gar first. after all YOU smoke 'em, right?
I agree with getting feedback and educating a friend as you move up, it's a much better time with a guide in this hobby.
not too strong, something mild.....
Could work out to be a regular thing, a new herf buddy.............;)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have a couple friends who smoke for smoking's sake. I don't want to waste a good cigar on them if they are all the same in their eyes. On the other hand, I never really know when they might "get" it, and wouldn't want to taint their experience with something disgusting. I have a few yard gars that I would smoke myself (if there weren't better options). If they showed some interest in smoking for flavor I'd get all excited and have lots of fun stuff for them to try.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
H Upmann Half Corona almost every time. Most occasional smokers cant handle an hour+ smoke and at @$3.50 per stick its no big deal if they set it down after 5-10 minutes. The HUHC has gotten a couple of my friends and family to really appreciate good cigars. I have sent a couple of them home with a small tupperdor and a box of HUHC.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
For parties or for new guys, I usually offer them their choice of a JLP , Ramon Bueso Genesis Project, or Genesis Habano.

I basically ask what kind of beer they would drink at the moment. Light beer gets the JLP, stout/porter lovers get the Project, IPA lovers get the Genesis Habano. These are cigars I smoke myself, but get for about $2, so there's not a lot of risk if they smoke three puffs and leave it to die (which many, many new guys do).

Guys who repeatedly smoke and seem to actually enjoy it will likely get something better from my stash next time, something still affordable, but a step up in quality, like a Four Kicks, or Charter Oak maduro, depending on what they liked before and what I have on hand. After that, usually a regular production CC. JL1 or 2 is a go to, as it has that strength of flavor, but also a bit of sweetness and smoothness. It's a nice, well-rounded, and approachable cigar for someone who is newer.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My go to cigar to give to nonsmokers is a Four Kicks. It's a really good cigar and is pretty mild. I can also find it for a good price so if they put it out halfway through I'm not out that much. I would never give a friend something I wouldn't smoke. I'm always hoping to turn someone on to a hobby I love. Can't do that with a dog rocket.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'll usually go with something mild to medium. Baccarat, Montecristo, AB White Gold etc. It really depends on the situation. If we are planning a long session I might have something in mind for a second one if I think they will want round 2, then maybe a Saison maduro or a PDR capa maduro.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
for beginners/non-smokers I usuall recommend things like Charter Oak, Buenaventura, Short stories, or good light bodied maduros like the CLE Azabache. It was an awesome feeling when I gave a few of my non smoking friends blondies and they all hated them hahaha and as for going too cheap, I follow the principle that you'll never get a taste for good whiskey by drinking Seagram's 7

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have actually gotten to do just this a few times lately. Usually a short story hits it on the head with the folks that i know will not be up for it. They can finish that at least. One friend clicked right off the bat with the short story and she will get to try something nicer next time.
Another good one that has not been mentioned is Tat series P. Inexpensive and mild but still a good introduction to the brand. Gave one to a buddy golfing a couple weeks ago. All he had ever had was gas station cheapies and was curious. He was very pleased to learn that cigars can be good.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was introduced to the world of cigars with the cheap gas station ones. I was intrigued and smoked some more of them. Then I was introduced to a bigger world of cigars with a Macanudo that my Uncle gave me and went down the slopes head first, full force. So moral of the story, Macanudos or something in that wheelhouse which is mild.