What's new

Cigars on a plane

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm heading out to play some golf this week. Getting on a plane and heading to Florida! I want to take some cigars on the trip. My questions is simply this. How do you fly with cigars?? I honestly have never flown with cigars. Do you check them, or carry them on? Also, if I carry them or check them, should I remove the bands from the CCs? Or doesn't it matter. Basically I am paranoid that if I have a big black Herf-A-dor in my carry on, that I'll get some looks and questions. I don't need an orifice check if ya get me.....ha. I'm even more paranoid that if I bring CCs, that they will be confiscated.

Cigar traveling newb here.

Thanks for the help!

-Paul

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I keep my travel humi in my carry on with no problems. Never even been asked about it to be honest. I also carry several pipes and a few tins and pouches of baccy with no issue. I don't put them in checked luggage because of the temp in the cargo hold (very cold). Enjoy your trip and your smokes!

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Always carry my sticks on in a herf-a-dor. I've never taken the bands off and only once have they even asked me to open the box. The TSA people could care less what cigars you have its customs that care even then when I flew out of the U.S. I've never taken the bands off.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I check most of them but carry on a few just in case something Happens to my bag. Usually take bands off ccs. Flame lighter with me and torch in the case in the checked in bag.

And I hate you for golfing when I can't.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I packed my cigars in my bag and checked it once and they were gone when I got to my destination. Since then I always have them in my carry-on and have not any problems.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I carry cigars on airplanes regularly. I've got both a 5 ct herf-a-dor and a 10 ct Xikar travel humi. I've never been asked about either.

Lighters and cutters can be a different story. I've carried on a guillotine cutter plenty of times, but technically I don't think you are supposed to. Torch lighters are a definite non-no (I don't even think they are allowed in checked luggage), so I always have a couple boxes of matches with me (also technically not allowed, but I've never been stopped). You could also swing by Wally World where ever you're headed and pick up a Ronson.

Enjoy your trip!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some sticks to FL last month. Had them in my carry-on in a travel humidor. No issues whatsoever in either direction.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I carry cigars on airplanes regularly. I've got both a 5 ct herf-a-dor and a 10 ct Xikar travel humi. I've never been asked about either.

Lighters and cutters can be a different story. I've carried on a guillotine cutter plenty of times, but technically I don't think you are supposed to. Torch lighters are a definite non-no (I don't even think they are allowed in checked luggage), so I always have a couple boxes of matches with me (also technically not allowed, but I've never been stopped). You could also swing by Wally World where ever you're headed and pick up a Ronson.

Enjoy your trip!
Cutters are fine. Torch lighters need to be in approved case and in checked bag. Flame lighters are OK in carry on.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Just no torch lighters.
Bring a bic, or buy one at your destination
Technically that is true but I've never had problems if in dot approved case or herfador. I don't usually take a nice one though although I have at times

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my lighters at home and picked up a Bic at Walgreens and some matches at a local B&M where I bought some sticks.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I used to pack them in humidibags and keep them in my carry on bag. I now use a herfadore/xikar case and carry on. Ive put my larger herfadore in my checked bag only because I needed the space in my carry on.
Cutters are ok and Ive been hit and miss with lighters.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Technically that is true but I've never had problems if in dot approved case or herfador. I don't usually take a nice one though although I have at times
DOT Approved herf-a-dor? Is any cigar caddy DOT approved? Do I need that for the carry on?

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Any case is okay. Like others said lighters are hit and miss. I wouldn't risk a nice butane one as they can take them. I was told cutters are okay because the have somewhat covered blades. The one time I did get inspected it was because of my cutter but the guy said it was okay after seeing it.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Always carry on. I've never had somebody even question what the case was. NCs, CCs, doesn't matter.

I don't take cutters or lighters, except for the punch on my keychain. Lighters are easily sourced, obviously. I don't want some TSA moron taking my Palio or Xikar.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
When I travel with cigars , I carry them in a cigar caddie in my carry on bag. The cigar caddie keeps them from getting crushed and maintains some humidity, I also carry a Palio cutter in my carry on, I've never been questioned, as per the TSA guidelines, which I keep a printed copy in my bag, specifically states a cigar cutter is allowed. As for a torch lighter, I'm a bout 50/50 with them. Although the guidelines say a torch lighter may be placed in checked luggage, empty and in an approved container, I've had 2 confiscated. I do it the easy way now, I just take a Djeep soft flame lighter and never get questioned.

Best advice, go to the TSA website, print out the rules and carry a copy. Then, if questioned, you are able to talk about what you can and can't bring. Enjoy your travel.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I fly quite frequently and always have my cigars and cutters with me in my carry on. The cigars go into a 15 count herfador and the cutters just get tossed into my backpack.

As far as lighters, a soft flame is allowed in carry on and I usually have a couple of Bics with me. I used to carry a nice soft flame butane lighter with me but the TSA goons questioned whether it was a torch or not so I ended up leaving that at home.

To build on what SOFC said I do also carry torch lighters with me in a colibri tranzpack. This goes in my checking in luggage. More than 40 (domestic) flights with this method and have never had an issue.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425316847.810693.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425316865.807196.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425316904.630785.jpg

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I can tell you from experience that it depends on the TSA person when it comes to torch lighters and cutters of any kind. If I were you I would check the lighters and cutters or just buy cheapies when you get there.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Always carry on my cigars, only time I've ever had them open the case is once when I got tubos cigars inside.
Rarely check a bag, but if I do, I put my torch lighter in one of the transpacks pictured above.