What's new

Coffee Christmas gift

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My wife loves coffee and since i'v gotten into loose leaf teas, she has wanted to get into some whole bean coffee (if that's what you call grinding your own <- coffee super newb, I drink whatever is made).

I got her a little Mr coffee grinder awhile back and a little bag of some random coffee I don't remeber. she really enjoyed it and the process of making her own. right now she is just using the coffee pot to make coffee.

So what else could I get her to move her along the coffee journey and where is a good place to buy some coffee (probably online preferred if possible)? she prefers a darker richer coffee I know that much. Is the little Mr coffee grinder ok or should I go ahead and get a better one?

Thanks for any advice guys

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Get a better grinder.

If you want suggestions, let me know.

Very good ones are a few hundred. Good ones are hundred or so depending on deals.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What i would recommend is a coffee subscription. I had a great one from counter culture. You say she likes "darker, richer coffees" though, which there isn't a lot of in the realm of "speciality" coffee. I believe, as what suits my personal taste, that you might want to try to help her palate appreciate truly great coffee, roasted well. Imagine you have a piece of the finest kobe beef before you, prized for its wonderful flavors. Then you turn around and cook it until it's black and dry, and just tastes like burned. That, to me, is what oily dark roasted coffee is like. The coffee bean is part of a fruit. Great coffee is prized for the tastes imparted by that very nature. To roast it until it's black only destroys those flavors. At which point, just stick with Starbucks or something cheap. Don't pay good money for bad coffee. If she wants to keep drinking the dark stuff (after all, what she likes is what matters, drink what you like, like what you drink) then you can step up to a French press and a good burr grinder. You could get both of those fire under $100, I'm sure.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What i would recommend is a coffee subscription. I had a great one from counter culture. You say she likes "darker, richer coffees" though, which there isn't a lot of in the realm of "speciality" coffee. I believe, as what suits my personal taste, that you might want to try to help her palate appreciate truly great coffee, roasted well. Imagine you have a piece of the finest kobe beef before you, prized for its wonderful flavors. Then you turn around and cook it until it's black and dry, and just tastes like burned. That, to me, is what oily dark roasted coffee is like. The coffee bean is part of a fruit. Great coffee is prized for the tastes imparted by that very nature. To roast it until it's black only destroys those flavors. At which point, just stick with Starbucks or something cheap. Don't pay good money for bad coffee. If she wants to keep drinking the dark stuff (after all, what she likes is what matters, drink what you like, like what you drink) then you can step up to a French press and a good burr grinder. You could get both of those fire under $100, I'm sure.
I was considering a coffee subscription. I will definitely look at the counter culture subscription.

I was pretty sure I'd get a better grinder for her so I'll look into that. I see there is already a thread with a lot of information on it.

How about ways to actually make the coffee? she tends to drink a few cups at a time.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
How about ways to actually make the coffee? she tends to drink a few cups at a time.
Most people, myself included, get started on enjoying good coffee with a French Press. It's a full immersion brewing method, which lends to a fuller mouthfeel (good for those who want that richness). What's fun about brewing is that a different brew method, with the same coffee, can taste very different. Comparing a French press coffee to, say, a Chemex (famous for it's particularly "clean" cup) is like comparing a My Father to a Macanudo.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
First of, that French press navy linked is WAY expensive. You can find a much better price than that searching around in like two minutes. Second, I'll refer you to counter culture again for the coffee subscription. Really excellent variety from them, and it's fairly priced.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
First of, that French press navy linked is WAY expensive. You can find a much better price than that searching around in like two minutes. Second, I'll refer you to counter culture again for the coffee subscription. Really excellent variety from them, and it's fairly priced.
Oh I didn't see a way to do a variety (at work so just took a quick glance). I must have missed it. I did like the way it looked but I just didn't want her to get one type of coffee over and over. I didn't think the one ryan linked was expensive but I'll shop around before I buy one.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Oh I didn't see a way to do a variety (at work so just took a quick glance). I must have missed it. I did like the way it looked but I just didn't want her to get one type of coffee over and over. I didn't think the one ryan linked was expensive but I'll shop around before I buy one.
Counter Culture subscription page, option one (the single origin subscription): One 12 oz bag each of two different seasonal, fresh-roasted coffees selected each month by our Coffee Department and delivered directly to you. Two bags total with each shipment.

It's the bomb. I did it when I lived in a coffee wasteland. And here's a french press link: https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Filter-French-Press-Chrome/dp/B015DSOWH0/ref=pd_sbs_79_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015DSOWH0&pd_rd_r=W1DHDK93KXVDD2GH7B3Z&pd_rd_w=CUwyp&pd_rd_wg=D6lDe&psc=1&refRID=W1DHDK93KXVDD2GH7B3Z

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Counter Culture subscription page, option one (the single origin subscription): One 12 oz bag each of two different seasonal, fresh-roasted coffees selected each month by our Coffee Department and delivered directly to you. Two bags total with each shipment.

It's the bomb. I did it when I lived in a coffee wasteland. And here's a french press link: https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Filter-French-Press-Chrome/dp/B015DSOWH0/ref=pd_sbs_79_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015DSOWH0&pd_rd_r=W1DHDK93KXVDD2GH7B3Z&pd_rd_w=CUwyp&pd_rd_wg=D6lDe&psc=1&refRID=W1DHDK93KXVDD2GH7B3Z
Hell yeah. I just didn't have the time to read it fully. thanks brother that's actually exactly what I am looking for

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
https://oldbisbeeroasters.com/products/roasters-choice-coffee-club-2 another option for coffee subscription, small business in Bisbee, AZ, great coffee and a great guy to work with I would also second a good grinder. Different ways to make coffee all give off different flavors to the coffee, since she likes the richer flavors I would suggest and immersion type coffee maker like a french press or aeropress, a stove top Moka pot also makes a nice rich cup. Roasting her own is also a good way to get the coffee the way she wants it, it is also a lot easier than it seems. Any way you go I would first suggest a new grinder since it is probably the most important part of brewing a quality cup (bean quality is first with grind quality in second). I love coffee and have about half a dozen ways of making it at home (from a 5 dollar Vietnamese brewer to a 3,000 dollar commercial espresso machine)and can't decide which is best.